You can configure Discourse to send you email.
- Click on your avatar in the menu bar next to the search and hamburger icons.
- Click your user name and then “Preferences”.
- Select the “Emails” section on the left-hand side menu.
There are various options available:
- You can opt to receive emails when someone messages you or when someone quotes you, mentions you or replies to one of your posts.
- You can select to receive an activity summary when you don’t visit the site. This is similar to a mailing list digest.
- The final option is to enable mailing list mode. Use this option if you don’t wish to visit the site and would like to use Discourse as a mailing list.
Replying by email
When replying to a post by email, please don’t or sign your message or quote the whole of the previous message in your reply. You can use either HTML or markdown to format your text.
Inline quotes are possible using the markdown “>” character commonly used for this purpose. Attribution of the quote is possible using a slightly more verbose syntax:
[quote="username"] Something said by username [/quote]
There are also a few short message replies that perform an action rather than create a post:
|+1 or <3||Like a post|
|mute||Mute a topic|
|track||Track a topic|
|watch||Watch a topic|
Tracking and watching a topic are not relevant for mailing list mode.
Creating a new topic by email
New topics can only be created by email when a user reaches trust level 1 (Basic). This is a restriction intended to reduce spam. If this causes you a problem please contact a member of staff.
It is only possible to create new posts in certain categories. The categories and corresponding email addresses are listed below: