Testbed thread... for Discourse forum experimenting

Try unexpected things in this thread. But do not expect a response. After a few annoying postings, most people will look for the feature to turn off off notifications.

Recommend that everyone DOES turn off notifications on this thread after doing an experiment or two (or too many).

Try :

• responding via eMailing replies with small! images. (our old maillist didn’t allow screen captures)
  • edit and deleting a posting
  • delete a posting that has replies

Feel free to experiment. :smiley: We can always delete the thread later.

1 Like

How very odd. I set Mailing List mode and it worked. Then I noticed I hadn’t been seeing some of the new messages. It had disabled itself.

Ewww. That’s an ugly system. Maybe there’s some kind of GUID masking option that can be configured.

Trying to reply with a subject change

OK that didn’t do it. Looks like they use those GUIDs for threading control

I’d expect Thunderbird to be smart enough to stop collecting greylisted GUIDs on a whitelisted domain. Can you add the “@discoursemail.com” Discourse domain to your whitelist and see what happens?

Hello Brian,

OK that didn’t do it. Looks like they use those GUIDs for threading
control

In all properly programmed MUAs, the subject header is irrelevant to
threading.

Have to try stuff anyway. Just cuz it’s supposed to work one way doesn’t mean that it DOES! (And our current maillist system HAS let me do threading control strictly with the subject text.)

When I’m testing software, I try to use ‘braindead’ mode… doing what instructions say exactly without filling in the ‘but I knew they just missed a comma or meant…’

It’s just like when I proofread a marketing flyer, I dial all the phone numbers and send test eMails to test the response times. It’s the obvious stuff you assume that will work that bite you most often.

-Brian

1 Like

Oh, that is so much better and more concise. Thank you!

attach a capture

ConfigureViews.png

1 Like

Please consider modifying the custom footer for mailing list mode to include the 3 addresses for starting a new thread. But we shouldn’t let ourselves get into the overkill of the 3 ambiguous links of the current maillist footer.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/custom-email-footers-in-mailing-list-mode/50091/2

Currently:

"You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here."

Proposed:

(in HTML markup)

"You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode in the Gramps Discourse ‘Emails’ preferences.

Start a new topic in: SupportDevelopmentFeedback"

(in markdown)

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode in the Gramps Discourse ‘Emails’ preferences.
Start a new topic in: SupportDevelopmentFeedback"

(There’s probably an underlying template for the ‘click here’ From what I gather, that line being added to the footer via a separate checkbox because it creates a user specific link And I noted reports from last June that Discourse was sanitizing MAILTO links into FormMail links. It is supposedly fixed but would need testing.)

(in uninterpreted HTML markup)

Start a new topic in:  <A HREF="mailto:Support@Gramps.Discourse.group">Support</A> &bull; <A HREF="mailto:Development@Gramps.Discourse.group">Development</A> &bull; <A HREF="mailto:Feedback@Gramps.Discourse.group">Feedback</A>

(in uninterpreted markdown)

Start a new topic in: [Support](mailto:Support@Gramps.Discourse.group) &bull; [Development](mailto:Development@Gramps.Discourse.group) &bull; [Feedback](mailto:Feedback@Gramps.Discourse.group)
2 Likes

A message to test a new mailing list footer.

1 Like

A test to test inline quotes. Note that Discourse will remove the quote
if you are quoting the previous message.

and again! I expect this one to display an inline quote.

Another attempt but try top posting this time.

Hello Nick,

Another attempt but try top posting this time.

In plain text mode, there is no quoted text in any of the three
follow-ups you sent. However, if I view the HTML version (something I
wouldn’t normally do), I can see a reference to the original post.

1 Like

@anon80682706 I haven’t managed to get an inline quote in an email reply yet. How did you do it?

Hello Nick,

@Yoss1960 I haven’t managed to get an inline quote in an email reply
yet. How did you do it?

Simply by replying to the message using Claws-Mail. Default action is
to quote message being replied to. I didn’t visit the web site; It was
done by email.

IOW, the same way one would normally quote text when replying to an
email.

Quote line 1

Another test reply!

Quote line 2

Comment on second quote.