Problem with PostgreSQL - stopping offer to update

A really irritating problem: every time I start Gramps I am offered an update to PostgreSQL - which I don’t want (I see from other posts that most of us will never need it). If I opt to update it, the update fails. There is no folder for this plugin in the plugin folder, but it is listed by the Plugin Manager. The Plugin Manager offers Hide, but not uninstall - and Hide does not stop the above behaviour. I tried looking for ini files - found it in new_addons.txt - deleted the line - but no change, and in fact the line reappears in new_addons.txt.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gramps 5.1.2
Ubuntu 20.04

A really irritating problem: every time I start Gramps I am offered an
update to PostgreSQL - […]. The Plugin Manager offers Hide, but not
uninstall - and Hide does not stop the above behaviour.

While I’m not familiar with the PostgreSQL plugin, if you don’t need the
plugin and want to remove it, you may follow these steps:

1. Exit Gramps if running
  2. Locate the Gramps user directory
    https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_User_Directory
  3. Go into the ‘plugins’ folder for the version of gramps for which you
    want to remove the plugin, e.g. gramps51/plugins
  4. Delete the folder for the plugin
  5. Launch Gramps and verify that the plugin isn’t loaded

This may not be a complete cleanup as plugins may create one or more
.ini files in the gramps51 folder (of course, match the version to your
gramps installation) which could be removed, but I rarely bother doing that.

Hope this helps

Another option is to install Plugin Manager Enhanced[1], which replaces the built-in plugin manager and extends functionality to uninstall add-ons where possible.

For some reason Discourse won’t allow posting the wiki URL so I removed the period in the hostname which will need to be added back

[1] https://gramps-project org/wiki/index.php/Plugin_Manager_Plugin

Thanks. I did find the Plugin Manager - and found that PostgreSQL is listed as available but not installed - and I assume that attempting to install it fails because a prerequisite would be installing the dmbs to the OS. In any case I read that we don’t need it!

Anyway the PostgreSQL reminder has gone now that I have checked ‘Do not ask’ in Edit|Preferences|General, 3rd Party.

I am left with a reminder every time of the Network Chart report - whose installation fails every time due to ‘errors’ - maybe a prerequisite problem. I’m not sure why I get this despite checking the box as above.

I’m also left with two error messages about Life Line Ancestor & Descendant charts (‘no error, probably error in gpr.py file’).

If the PostgreSQL plugin is actually installed then the steps in my first reply would confirm that and you would be able to remove it, if you were so inclined.

The reason why it may not be showing as installed may possibly be related to the part in your original post where you said edited the new_addons file.

Thanks - I’m sure it’s not installed - there is no folder for it in the Plugins folder and the Plugin Manager lists it as Available rather than installed.

I think my confusion was in Edit Settings General 3rd Party where I opted to be informed of New and Updated plugins. I assumed that New means plugins that are really new - in other words excluding those offered at startup that I chose not to install. In fact the behaviour of this setting is to offer all plugins available that have not been previously installed - so you get asked as startup every time about plugins that you have chosen not to install!

The other error messages in my post above have gone now that I have installed the correct prerequisites (the messages were so ambiguous that realising that it was a prerequisite problem was just a lucky guess)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.