SharedPostgreSQL addon installation error

Hi. This is Gramps version 5.1.5 (flatpak) running on Fedora 36 Silverblue. I am getting a continuous error message trying to install SharedPostgreSQL (0.1.1). I’m attaching the notification I get. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Screenshot from 2022-07-25 07-38-35

The PostgreSQL is a 3rd party add-on that enables a server-hosted database back-end instead of the typical local configuration using SQLite.

Are you needing to access the Gramps database from different machines? Or are you just chasing down an error message during startup?

If the 1st, good luck & be careful. A multi-machine (but single user) implementation can be a delicate balancing act. Please follow the ‘prerequisites’ instructions on the linked webpage above.

If it is just a worrisome error message on startup, then simply disable the PostgreSQL add-on in the Gramps Plugin Manager. Typical Gramps users don’t need (or want) that database engine installed.

On my ubuntu, I needed to install python3-psycopg2.
I don’t know what is the package name on fedora.

I use Gramps in my main workstation and then sync the database with a second workstation and my laptop (all running F36 Silverblue), via Nextcloud. I have only seen this behavior in my main workstation. I guess I should better disable de addon, but I can’t find it in the Plugin Manager and the only options I see are to Hide/Unhide then. The only databese backends I have in Gramps are SQLite (currently in use) and BSDDB.

Sound like you are using the built-in Plugin Manager. I prefer the add-on Plugin Manager Enhanced. If for no other reason, it allows searching add-ons by name.

This is because the postgresql python library is not installed.
I think the rpm for fedora is python3-postgresql

The built-in Plugin Manager does not show me new addons. It only allows me to upgrade the troubling database, as seen below, even if I select the “New addons only” option.

But as I mentioned, I am using the flatpak package, instead of rpm. But if this might be a solution, I would be willing to switch flatpak for Gramps’ rpm.

1 Like

I haven’t explored the Plugin Manager’s behavior when a plugin is install but fails to initialize.

We could troubleshoot that and come up with a workflow. But let’s do this the easier way.

You can uninstall any add-on by just deleting it from the gramps51/plugins subfolder of the Gramps User Directory. Fortunately, this isn’t a “view mode” add-on that would also leave behind .ini remnants

Hi,

just found this thread; I developed the shared PostgreSQL addon and would be grateful about feedback on any bugs so we can resolve them.

Perhaps as a first step, could you please try installing the “ordinary” PostgreSQL addon and see if that fails as well? That’s what the new addon was derived from and it is used by a significant number of users I believe.

If that fails as well, it is likely a Postgres dependency/packaging problem; if it doesn’t, we have narrowed the bug down to something particular to the shared Postgres addon.

Thanks!

Hi, David. Sorry for the delay in answering. I verified and am unable to install the addon. In my Plugin Manager window I only see two tabs: one for Registered Plugins and the other for Loaded Plugins. I don’t see any option for installing or removing addons. I regret I cant’ be more helpful.

Hi. I tried it [deleting the plugin folder from the gramps51/plugins subfolder] but Gramps still behaves the same. I can only see options for Registered and Loaded plugins, with no option for install/uninstall. Oddly enough, I have not seen the plugin installation error for several days.

The whole conflict should be resolved now that you’ve deleted the add-on’s subfolder from the gramps51/plugins folder.

During the the start of Gramps, the registration now longer finds an incompatible (due to missing prerequisites) plugin. Which means it no tries to register nor install the problem child… so no error message. And since it never registered, it no longer has the potential to appear in the Plugin Manager list.

If you choose in the future to deselect the Do not ask about previously notified addons option from the Third party addons management section of the General Preferences, you’ll have the option of trying the PostgreSQL add-on again.

Unless you want to use another add-on that specifically requires PostgreSQL, never exercise that option.

Thanks. The issue seems to be gone. I am planning to stay away from addons (I never used those I installed that much anyway).

Don’t overreact! You installed an add-on that had prerequisites & that is documented as being only for advanced users. There are VERY few of those. (And at least a few of those are well-worth the hassle of manually setting up the Prerequisites.)

Personally, I’d find Gramps to be very stark and feature devoid without my favorite add-ons.

1 Like

It’s OK. My decision has more to do with running Fedora Silverblue and a Flatpak version of Gramps, than Gramps itself. Besides, there is something in my current Gramps configuration that do not allow me to install or remove addons anyway. This is what I see when I open plugin manager:

Given that otherwise Gramps is working OK for my needs, I prefer to stay clear from the addons until I move to Fedora 37 Silverblue.

There does not seem to be any block for you installing or removing add-ons.

This is not readily apparent because you are using the built-in Plugin Manager, not the Plugin Manager Enhanced add-on.

The enhanced version has explicit Install/Uninstall and identifies which plug-ins are built-in versus add-on. And, rather than 2 tabs with distinctions that are too subtle for new users, it consolidates the interface to a single main dialog.

So, you are currently using plugins… and probably add-ons… but they are a bit transparent.

The idea is that a well-formed add-on integrates seamlessly into Gramps. Add-on reports are simply slotted into the Reports menu. New import or export formats are just added to the list of formats.

Some, like the Place Cleanup Gramplet add-on, require signing up for an external web service and configuring it with your log-in info. Others, need additional prequisites to expand features, like the Photo Tagging Gramplet add-on allows manual tagging after being added but automatic face detection requires also installing OpenCV & numpy. Just a very few others are completely dependant on add-on libraries and will fail registration or error when accessed.

It took me awhile, but I was finally successful in installing Plugin Manager Enhanced. What did the trick for me was to download the .tgz file and extract it into /.gramps/gramps51/plugins. Now I have this:

Gramps seems to be functioning normally. Thanks for your time.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.