Add-on installation error

Gramps 5.1.5 on Ubuntu 22.04.02

When I start Gramnps, I get an error for missing add-ons.(LifeLineChartView Plugin [Failed to load the required module svgwrite version 1.4, life_line_chart version 1.7,7]). Gramps then takes me to the Updates for Addons screens, and asks to install PostgreSQL 1.0.13, SharedPostgreSQL 0.1.2, Graph View 1.0.131, and Network Chart 0.0.25. I click “Select All”, then “Install Selected” and it fails with the very helpful notice that “The follow addons had errors: PostgreSQL…” etc.

Where is the log that might give me some idea of WHY these failed?

The reason for these plugins failing to load is probably missing dependencies.

The Plugin Manager is the first place to look for the errors. You may also see errors in the terminal window.

The Prerequisites gramplet will tell you the requirements for third-party addons.

There is no log file, but you can see some logs when you start Gramps from terminal. The problem here however is that the log for the LifeLineChartView is useless, and there is no log for PostgreSQL.

When you follow the link in the pop-up for the LifeLineChartView, you’ll see this page on our wiki:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Addon:Graph_View#Linux

And althought that gives a clue for debian, which works for Mint and ubuntu too, it’s most probably not specific enough to get you any further, unless you know how to work with a package manager like synaptic. The solution is quite simple however, just type

sudo apt install gir1.2-goocanvas-2.0

in terminal, and type your password when you’re asked for that.

The answer for PostgreSQL is simple too. It’s an alternative database, which is only for experts, so you can better ignore it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.