Where do I find log messages for failed plugin installs and updates

GRAMPS: 5.1.3
Python: 3.8.14 (default, Oct 4 2022, 06:27:18) …
BSDDB: 6.2.7 (5, 3, 28)
sqlite: 3.39.2 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
Distribution: 5.15.110-desktop-2.mga8

Attempted (again) to install upgraded(?) Graph View plugin (1.0.130)

The installation failed with the following message: The following addons had errors: Graph View (1.0.130)

What were the errors? Where do I find that information?

Thanks
John

The best is to start gramps in a terminal to see the logs.
For graphview, you need:

• gir1.2-goocanvas-2.0
  • python3-graphviz

Are the logs not recorded and saved?

I don’t know for mageia.
It can be in ~/.xsession*

OK found the warning in console mode. Missing goocanvas so we’re installing a further 80 libraries.

Having just that bit showing in the error popup would have saved a great dedal of fruitless searching :slight_smile:

Thanks

graphiz is a third party product.
We have no control over how the developer handles its dependencies.

Graphviz handles the error dialogues?

Opps, misread your last. I was referring to the error message rather than the downloading. :slight_smile:

Mageia dependencies don’t alway match the other distributions.

Thanks Again

Because OSes and distibutions vary for what is included, there is a Addon:Prerequisites Checker Gramplet

That’s really good to know after the event.

But Brian, my problem was that the error message returned by the plugin installer
gave no indication as to what the error was or what was causing it.

I have been chasing the Graph View and Network Chart addon error messages for
sometime now. OK I have Graph View installed and working but I still can’t get the
Network Chart (0.0.25) installed. I see the same message as I reported in my original
post. There is nothing at all reported in terminal mode.

I guess I’ve been around software for so long that I still expect even spelling errors
to be located at /var/log/messages. :slight_smile:

Perhaps this could be seen as an enhancement request for the Third Party Plugin Installer ?

Thanks

There are Command line options for checking Prerequisites and debug logging … useful if you had problems that prevent Gramps loading far enough to use a gramplet. A few years ago Gramps use required a lot higher skill levels to install or use. Skills using command line options could be assumed.

Since installer wizards and pre-installs became common, users begin to expect a lot more hand holding. That’s not really likely in open source. Programming of Hand-holding is the most tedious, frustrating and bloat inducing kind of coding. It requires significant skills and creates features that are useful to users for the short time they are newbies. Volunteer programmers are more likely to want to work on features instead.

Network Chart is an addon. The wiki page for it documents the Prerequisites troubleshooting.

Gramps has several levels of troubleshooting tools. (Look at the See also section of the Prequisites Checker addon docs.) Depending on what you’re doing (installations, debugging, code exploration, optimizing tests, low overhead use), you can enable different levels… from inside the code or with overrides from the command line or environment variables.

But because added overhead means a performance hit and because there’s serious overlap possibilities with a plug-in framework, there’s wide latitude in which level is enabled. It is informative to occassionally run Gramps from the command line with debug messaging enabled.

If the add-on developer doesn’t enable logging, that’s their choice… or maybe an oversight.

The new Addon Manager will include some improvements in the way we handle dependencies for third-party addons.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.