Enhanced addons not available

I have a similar issue as raised in this topic… (Export SQL Lite - #4 by DaveSch). Their solution was to reinstall, however, I would prefer not to delete Gramps and reinstall it, as there appear to be issues with it in the PPA.

I have tried the options mentioned ( 1. deleted the Plugins folder, checked the Gramps ini file, etc) but I am still not getting the enhanced plugins. I can manually add the plugins individually, and they work, but I would very much like the automatic function to work.

Similar to previous poster, I do not have a new_addons.txt file. and on trying the “check for updated addons now” button I got…

There are no available addons of this type.

I have manually loaded the enhanced plugin manager ( which does not materially changed anything) and now I get

his

This could be an issue either with Ubuntu 20.04 or Gramps 5.1 as I updated both to get the new features of Gramps 5.1. It worked perfectly for me in Ubuntu 18 LTS and Gramps 4.2

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

GRAMPS: 5.1.2
Python: 3.8.10 (default, Jun 2 2021, 10:49:15) …
BSDDB: 6.2.7 (5, 3, 28)
sqlite: 3.31.1 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: Linux - Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS - 64bit / Gnome - 3.36.8
Distribution: 5.4.0-81-generic

Work for me using your settings, maybe an internet connection issue on your side , try starting Gramps from the command line to see if it provides any additional information ?

Also try changing the What to check setting to New and updated addons to see if that helps?

Thanks for the quick reply …

That’s done something useful… but not sure how it helps… If I understand this correctly it is saying my connection has been refused. I’m based in China, and have tried this both directly and via VPN ( Singapore) …

john@john-Latitude-E7240:~$ gramps
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/plug/_pluginreg.py:1138: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if PluginRegister.__instance is not 1:
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/plug/_manager.py:86: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if BasePluginManager.__instance is not 1:
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/pluginmanager.py:74: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if GuiPluginManager.__instance is not 1:
2021-08-27 09:38:28.133: WARNING: PluginManager.py: line 789: Failed to open addon metadata for en_GB https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/addons/master/gramps51/listings/addons-en.txt: <urlopen error [Errno 111] Connection refused>
Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/threading.py”, line 932, in _bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/utils.py”, line 684, in run
self.addon_update_list = available_updates()
File “/home/john/.gramps/gramps51/plugins/PluginManager.addon/PluginManager/PluginManager.py”, line 792, in available_updates
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/lib/maps/messagelayer.py:116: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
self.message += “\n%s” % message if self.message is not “” else message
if f_ptr and f_ptr.getcode() == 200 or f_ptr.file: # ok
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘file’

I agree something to do with github not liking your vpn setup, not sure how to fix that maybe try another vpn provider if possible, lots of people mentioning [Errno 111] on google and one person from china for a different program !

Thanks for looking! It worked with my connection on Gramps 4.2, so not sure it is this. But clearly something is wrong, I will have a dig into potential connection issues…

Can you try to start gramps from the command line adding “-d .gen.plug” at the end of the command

not sure if i did this right… but no change… I get this response…

john@john-Latitude-E7240:~$ gramps -d .gen.plug
setup debugging .gen.plug
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/plug/_pluginreg.py:1138: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if PluginRegister.__instance is not 1:
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/plug/_manager.py:86: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if BasePluginManager.__instance is not 1:
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/pluginmanager.py:74: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if GuiPluginManager.__instance is not 1:
2021-08-27 15:10:45.257: WARNING: PluginManager.py: line 789: Failed to open addon metadata for en_GB https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/addons/master/gramps51/listings/addons-en.txt: <urlopen error [Errno 111] Connection refused>
Exception in thread Thread-1:
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/threading.py”, line 932, in _bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/utils.py”, line 684, in run
self.addon_update_list = available_updates()
File “/home/john/.gramps/gramps51/plugins/PluginManager.addon/PluginManager/PluginManager.py”, line 792, in available_updates
if f_ptr and f_ptr.getcode() == 200 or f_ptr.file: # ok
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘file’
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/lib/maps/messagelayer.py:116: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
self.message += “\n%s” % message if self.message is not “” else message
2021-08-27 15:10:57.228: WARNING: PluginManager.py: line 789: Failed to open addon metadata for en_GB https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/addons/master/gramps51/listings/addons-en.txt: <urlopen error [Errno 111] Connection refused>
^C2021-08-27 15:11:56.333: ERROR: grampsgui.py: line 701:
Gramps failed to start. Please report a bug about this.
This could be because of an error in a (third party) View on startup.
To use another view, don’t load a Family Tree, change view, and then load your Family Tree.
You can also change manually the startup view in the gramps.ini file
by changing the last-view parameter.
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py”, line 677, in startgramps
if app.run():
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gio.py”, line 44, in run
return Gio.Application.run(self, *args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/contextlib.py”, line 120, in exit
next(self.gen)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/_ossighelper.py”, line 251, in register_sigint_fallback
signal.default_int_handler(signal.SIGINT, None)

Is it a new install ? a new distribution ?
Did you make update for python and/or gramps ?

personally I would reinstall.
It is a python problem or a gramps problem.

I did an update of the OS - from 18 LTS to 20 LTS ( Beaver to Focal Fosa) this automatically updated gramps.

If no other solutions are forthcoming, I might have to uninstall install again. Thanks for your advice.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.