Problem in switching to "Combined View" - false person

Hi , I am new here Forum and use Gramps 5.1.6 at LinuxMint 21.3.

I have already recorded about 900 people and I am happy to use the person view during processing, in which I then specifically perform appropriate processing.

Now I had installed interesting “Combined View”, which could give me more opportunities for centralized data processing around a selected person.

But I noticed an inconsistency that prevents the data from being transferred from a selected person and the normal view to “Combined View”. If I turn the view t combined view, I see name and data from a completely different person.

A similar problem is already mentioned here (but i do not use the plugin “forms”):

Since the module “Combined View” is very practical, I would like to ask if there is already a correction. An update that can be found and get in the current Gramps version 5.1.6 to use there?

OK, i dont get it why, but now it seems to work correctly.

I uninstalled Gramps an deleted the “51” folder in the Gramps User folder. The other folders with db and so on untouched. Then i insalled Gramps again, a new 51 folder generated. Than i started Gramps and installed in the settings “Combined Relationship View” 2.08 and after a few tests selecting different people and switching the both views back and forth, the shown name an data where the one of the correct person.

The former installation of “Combind view” was withe this plugin thing under the help menue. I don’t know if there is a problem.

I dont get why, but it seems to work. I hope so. Sorry for my “Panic”.

OK, I hoped i found the solution of the problem in first message, but it does not work again.

After the new installation, it first functioned as described. But after writing my post before, I started Gramps again. I tried the switching of the view again and again received the problem already described.
I then called the plug-in manager in “Help”. I had to realize that it looked very different than before. Previously, I was able to install plug-ins there and also uninstall them. I will not be shown at all such a possibility now.

I have now restored my old 5.16 installation from a backup. Unfortunately, I have to do my work in Gramps without this actually very useful plug-in “Combined Relationship View”.

I am very interested in this view and in particular the Events tab which is the quickest way I have found to access the media (or permanent link ark) of an event of the dynamically active individual
Except that synchronization in the Classic Combined Relationship view is not done automatically.
When launching Gramps:
The Relationship view is well aligned with the active individual
But the Combined view is aligned to the main individual???
To obtain synchronization of the two views you must make at least one change in the Relationship view so that the Combined view aligns
Then it’s ok
This is what I noticed
Otherwise this view is great and personally suits me
The transition seems simpler to me than switching to Cardview…

Yes, you mention the problem correctly. But each workaround does not improve the conclusive operation on the one hand, and on the other hand it encourages errors in the inputs.

It is a pity that plug-ins cannot be retrieved after a certain time after publication. After installation of 5.1.6, I might have had luck twice and were displayed via an update in the settings dialog two updates. It seems to me that corrections are only implemented to the new release 5.2. Thera are a few PlugIns for 5.2 which have always a different an higher Versionnumber, but one can not install these with 5.1.6 :frowning:
I like the work with Gramps since many years now and, of course, I am happy about any work facilitation.

In this context, as a new one here in the forum, I really would like to thank the developers and programmers. Great work, great software!!!

For most of the 5.2 plugins (built-ins and add-ons), the only reason the version number is higher is because of the new metadata in the Gramps Plugin Registration (*.gpr.py) file. Most have no changes to the plug-in functionality.

• Gramps needed more sorting & filtering tags because the add-on list grew to be so long.
  • the Help URL tagwas made be usable with all type of Plugins, not just ‘gramplets’.
  • plugins installation needed to become more aware of pre-requisites to facilitate troubleshooting and automating the pre-requisite installation

Some plug-ins from old Versions have been discontinued because the Developer felt new features (or plug-ins) in Gramps made the old plug-in unncessary.

e.g., the old Census Report was dropped because the add-on it supports was expanded to handle more than Census data in the 4.1.x release. The underlying attributes were converted to work with the Forms format.

Thank you for your background and inside information. The basic installed equipment of Gramps served me well so far and at least I rarely noticed any problems. It is clear, of course, that a lot has been tinkered in the ‘machine room’ and must continue to be done.
From user point of view, however, it is somewhat annoying not to get access to even min-fold corrected Gramps (or PlugIns) and then to have to wait until the next release (5.2). I don’t know the error reports, but I assume that after each release a few essential problems have already been reported.

And as an example, the “Combind Relationship View” plug-in is, in my opinion, really a very useful supplement that would have deserved more attention :wink:

You may be interested in the Card View. This addon must be manually installed.

There is an Enhanced Plugin Manager. This addon is available through Gramps and installed just like you installed the Combined View.

Thanks for the hint. But after I looked at this, I prefer the simplicity in the representation of “Combind Relationship View”.

Yeah, I had installed that before. I was just not aware of where it came from. I will use this plugin again.
It offers some useful features around plugins, but is also somewhat confusing in this list view.

Combined View is one of @Nick-Hall’s experiments. It went through a round of feedback and improvements before he published it to the Addons repository.

@cdhorn based his CardView on that experiment. Nick said in one posting that CardView has outstripped the Combined View. So I think he decided to re-allocate his energies amongst his many, MANY other experiments.

But these 2 approaches serve different audiences.

CardView is a power user’s playground with so much intricacy that you might never touch all the features. It exposes as many of the secondary interconnections as possible in a single screen. And provides incredible drag’n’drop access to adding new sharing of 2ndry objects.

The Combined View is a less frightening Overview of the data that traditionally interests genealogies. It requires almost no coaching and is very appropriate for being shared at family gatherings. The only things that would make it better for that is an intuitive way to indicate tab Subjects have been researched but have no data. (Like the Tabs use icons in the standard Relationships view.) And a “Browsing mode” with the Edit, Share, Add & Remove icons disabled… so uninitiated users cannot accidentally change the database as they explore.

Thank you for further differentiation and clarification.
Can I assume that “Combined Relationship View” is part of this new plug-in due to the screenshots shown and the icons shown below the menu bar (two times the same icon as if the original “Combined View” were installed)? Or are both plug-ins installed independently of each other for showing and Screenshot?

If a well maintained “Combinding Relationship View” would actually be present as a further view and part of an installed “Card View”, I would install it for a test :slight_smile:

More precisely, it is actually a "Combined View” view mode (with 5 tabs) in the Relationships category. It is an Add-on that was published through the Plugin Management system. This is separate and distinct from the not-yet-published CardView addons.

CardView is a collection of view modes and support files. It is almost a whole alternative GUI for Gramps. Since it is still experimental, users have to install it manually.

For the screenshots, I already had both Add-ons installed. So I just selected the icon in the Toolbar. (The Combined View add-on doesn’t have a custom icon. So it just inherited the standard icon for its category.)

Okay, because I’m very curious I started a try and try “Card View” just after installation.
Of course I could now find out that “combind view” is not part of it :wink:

My first impression, the first person’s view is a one with information. At the second glance, however, such a view is quite useful. I’ve got to work out the settings dialogue for a while.
The translations of the ad and dialogue are still very mixed (I am German :wink:
The correct icon for this view is missing under the menu bar, here only a warning sign is displayed.

Otherwise, I’ll take a look at this and try to see if I’m able to handle the data in some cases. It is already a big change over the handling of Gramps in the original.

Thanks for this interesting tip to this plug-in!

I have updated the Combined View for v5.1.

1 Like

Wow, Nick, thank you very much!!! I will install and try! Thats realy great news :slight_smile:

Maybe only I had temporaly the problem, I could install the new “Combind View” over the settings dialog only after I removed Card View.
But now it is integrated and after my first tests it works as intended. I’m really excited about that, because the operation and design are so well integrated into the surface of Gramps!

Realy great!!!

Thank you too! But it seems to me that you are right :wink:

To your knowledge bjc49 :slight_smile:

You may be interested in some background.

Navigation in Gramps initially only recorded people. The navigation buttons allowed the user to move to the previous, next and default person.

When the gramplet bars were introduced, we needed a way of signalling the current object changes for the other primary objects types. The easiest way to do this was to create history lists for each primary object type. This created an independent navigation for each object type. There was no way of recording that a user had changed view from a person to an event for example.

The Combined View was created to demonstrate two ideas:

1. That a view could display data from more that one primary object. I wanted to show that it was possible to display citations and media attached to events quickly. This really expanded upon an earlier prototype which I referred to as “viewers”. Viewers would be optimised to view data, whereas an editor would be optimised to edit data. I later concluded that a viewer could probably just be a view.

2. That it was possible to navigate from one object type to another. For example from a person to an event and then to another participant in the event. The problem here is that I created a totally new combined history object that is only created when the view is created. At some point I intend to put a multi-object history into core Gramps which will work better.

I have another set of views, one for each object type, that display all the data stored in Gramps. I call these the Everything View, but it is not published yet. Users can follow links from one object to another, but I haven’t implemented navigation yet. It is a similar concept though.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I think this is a basic problem of software development (if not even every development also in other areas). When software is growing and further developed, this may blow the first design concepts.
On the other hand, I am also thrilling to start and drive forward such a further development.
But I am not a developer or programmer myself :wink:

Indeed, that’s what I particularly appreciate.
I updated the combined view 2.0.8 to 2.09
I noticed a strange thing:
If at the end of a session I leave the combined view just after clicking on one of the parents for example which therefore becomes the active individual (I noticed this in Graphview and Individual and returns to the combined view)
I resume a session, Gramps presents me with this Combined View but … but with the main individual and not the last active individual??? therefore out of sync with the other views (Relationship, Individuals, Graphview, etc.)
I don’t know if this fault is reproducible or if it is specific to my configuration?
Nonetheless it is an excellent view.

All I can say after installation, for me and my work in Gramps, is that it works again. The switchover between the two relationship views is no longer disturbed by incorrect information. For my work I have now decided to make “Combind Relationship View” a standard view in this work area.
At the moment, however, I do not have to make many changes, except that I do not want to disturb my database by too many testing :wink:

In any case, it is a great work facilitation! Thanks again to Nick!!!

1 Like

Totally agree
The scenario that I observed practically never happens, so it is minor and perhaps even specific to my configuration?
It was just for information
It’s clear that my favorite views are Graphview for navigation in the family tree and the Combined view for quick access to essential objects Quotes and Media