Filtered Fan & Dual Fan charts

Could Fan Charts use filters?

Say that there was an example of extreme pedigree collapse and a graphic illustration would help clarify… where the common ancestors were filled in on the fan chart. So a fan chart with ONLY the common ancestors filled in would help understand the collapse. (Or maybe an option to apply color to only those common ancestors.)

A split screen option would be possible if the Fan Charts Gramplet allowed the same features but also had an Active Person/Home Person switch. So a Relationship path between <persons> filter simultaneously apply to the fan chart & Gramplet would show the paths from common ancestors. If they were double (or triple cousins, this also could be graphically represented.

Filtered charts could also allow special condition to be illustrated. Like an arc of great-great-grandparents without any of their descendants or ancestors. Or a fan chart that only includes grandparents & up - the blank center of the graph allows it to be re-used for all the sibs & their descendants.

Alternatively, if you wanted to show each person only once but show all of the paths, you could create a filter that selects the desired set of people and then use that filter as the basis for a Relationship Graph. I tested this with a person whose parents were first cousins. The pair of great-grandparents that would be duplicated in a fan chart appeared only once in the relationship graph. (For purposes of this test, I simply bookmarked the people I wanted to include in the graph.)

1 Like

Where is the filtering saturation control for the 2-Way Fan Chart?

While adding the missing wiki section for Filter gramplets in the Charts and Geography categories, I found that SOME of the charts drop to 50% saturation for People who don’t match the filter.

The feature is nice but tends to be too subtle with the color gradients.

The Descendant Fan chart filtered saturation isn’t working right. So here’s a 2-Way Fan chart (with 1 Ancestor) where the Filter is a 2-rule custom filter with the Relationship path between <persons>" for 2 descendants of example.gramps home person… and the Parents of those people.

I think the saturation color coding would be noticed more if the saturation was 0%.
It is easier to see that this graph is highlighting the lineage connection of Matthew Warner and 1st cousin twice removed, Marie Garner.

The Descendant Fan Chart filtered saturation is not working. It puts EVERYONE at 50% saturation. Left is filtered, right is unfiltered.

Likewise, the Fan Chart filter saturation is not working. Left is filtered, right is simulating with a filtered 2-Way chart.

Looks like it is an Alpha channel value rather than a saturation. Dropping the value from 0.2 to 0.1 makes matches much more obvious. But since it is a transparency level, The background gradients have to be turned off too.

Defaults for Fan chart view mode and gramplet

Defaults for Fan chart report

Defaults for Descendant Fan chart view mode and gramplet (there’s no comparable report)

Defaults for 2-Way Fan chart view mode and gramplet (there’s no comparable report)