How to show deep lineage person to person

What report or plugin can I best use to show all related people between two individual people that I select?
For example if I want to see one lineage crossing over 10 generations and only want to see the direct connections (person 1 - child(spouse) - child(spouse) - child(spouse) - child(spouse) - person 2) either horizontally or vertically what gramplet or report is best suited for this?

You can create a custom filter with a “Relationship path between …” rule to automatically select all of the people involved, and then use that custom filter to create a Relationship Graph report.

Note: Contrary to what the documentation indicates, it is not in Reports > Graphs but in Reports > Diagrams on my French version of Gramps. Reports > Graphs exists but it’s not there. - cc @emyoulation

Thank you!

To be able to also output the persons wed to the relations, had to create two filters:
-Filter with: Relationship between the two persons
→ Save this Filter as the RelationBetweenAandB
-Filter: Husbands of → RelationBetweenAandB

So that I got a report with all parents including both men and woman, of marriages between the two relationships. A bit complicated, but it worked!

Thanks,

You might want to open your customfilters.xml file with a text editor and paste the blocks with those filters you described. (Use the </> button to mark the pasted block as code.)

That will allow other people to paste your custom filters into their Gramps and try it with little effort. But also lets you come back here and do the same when (not ‘if’) you lose the filter definitions in the future.

Hint: add VERY expansive descriptions to the custom filters first. Maybe include the URL for this Discourse thread. It is easy to forget your objectives for creating a filter.

I don’t know if it’s really efficient. I’d published all my filters without request of one of them. Filters are pretty specific from one genealogist to another, and interest few other people than ourself

You are probably correct. Custom Filters are very personalized and are unlikely to be immediately practical. But they can be motivational and inspirational when they can be used for experimenting.

But if they are too much work to recreate, people don’t run experiments… they try to dive in too quickly, become frustrated, & abandon the feature as too complex.

It relates to why I despise our tutorials with pseudo code but without functional examples. It creates uncertainty and predisposes the user to quitting. When there is no functional example, it is too hard to determine whether failures are related to mistakes in logic or in syntax. (It also makes the user wonder if the article is incomplete, fundamentally flawed, or so outdated that it calls upon no-longer-available features.) And with Python’s sensitivity to white space, I already anticipate diagnosing Gramps syntax errors will be highly frustrating.

So examples that give “not specifically useful” results (but do not error) still have other value.

For those of us writing docs, these foundational articles are not very satisfying. When you write something that is immediately applicable, you occasionally get “this helped me” feedback. When the user has to BUILD on the foundational information, the results are so far removed that the user forgets the original structure was provided by someone else. (And they rightly credit the successful results to their own efforts.) Unfortunately, the doc writer gets very little feedback.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.