Dynamic Web Report

Possibly this could be of interest for publishing your results on the web. All genealogy registration takes place in Gramps on my local server, so the public only gets a readable web page.

I tried several versions and ended up with
Dynamic Web Report which currently proves to be stable with regard to updates on the server and my private website www.jawiknor.com
See GENEALOGY reference leading to Dynamic Web Report.

Web site template: And Mainz is the only one that I found to be stable with regards to new update from Gramps. The update will be made when I find out that I have something new to present.

Lines 20 to 23 are changed in
dwr_conf.js to this:

PAGES_FILE = ["../index.html", "index.html", "", "tree_svg.html"];
PAGES_TITLE = ["JawikNor", "Home", "Indexes", "Tree"];
PAGES_FILE_INDEX = ["surnames.html", "persons.html", "families.html", "sources.html", "medias.html", "places.html", "address.html"];
PAGES_TITLE_INDEX = ["Surname", "Persons", "Families", "Sources", "Media", "Places", "Web Link"];

Dynamic Web Report is ok, but I am not completely satisfied. The text should become more readable and possibly one of you can direct me to which file I can change this.

The presentation of Tree is not the best presentation I have seen.

Is it possible to use Grampā€™s own Diagrams that include photos?

Thanks for posting another message.

Your earlier messages were rejected on Facebook because they only had an unexplained hotlink to your website. They looked like dangerous ā€˜click baitā€™.

Sorry about that episode on Facebook.

Am I left with the feeling that this help page cannot give me any results on my dilemma?

I know the solution is somewhere in the two Bootstrapā€¦css files, but opening these in Bluefish makes no sense to an old man like me. Despite the fact that I started programming in 1971 with punch cards.

Addon:DynamicWeb report does not provide any answer either.

Narrative websites seemed ok at first, and I liked this one, but after a few attempts to update it failed completely. I would prefer to end up with a stable page for the public on the web.

One thing you should be aware of when transferring data from a local PC to the server. I use Filezilla when transferring. For example, you have a www start out there and possibly a gramps folder with subfolders: www/gramps/ (data, tmp, img, image, thumb).

Some servers have a waiting period (24 hours) before your update is ready. Then it is best to block the view to the public with a separate website where you mention that the base is under maintenance. Quite simply with two index files under www/index.html and Xindex.html where you move (X) between these two.

And if you want to be 100% sure that the transfer will be correct, I have found that the best thing is to delete all content under www/gramps/ including subfolders in Filezilla. Before this happens, I have tested everything on my local server.

I found it in dwr_styles.css :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me, both Narrative Web Site and Dynamic Web Report have advantages and disadvantages, so I am still using both, although as they continue to grow I will probably have to get rid of one of them. Discourse wonā€™t allow me to include a link to my website, but it is CriderMcDowellFamily (just add .com). With my host providerā€™s elimination of cPanel, I had to find a new way to update files, so I now use sftp and ssh to do my updates.

On my host server, the Narrated Web Site is placed under public_html/genealogy and the Dynamic Web Report is placed under public_html/genealogy/dynamic.

When generating a Dynamic Web Report, I select ā€œCopy, rename files with an internal Gramps identifierā€ for the images and media. This causes the images directory generated by Narrated Web Site and the image directory generated by Dynamic Web Report to be the same. So I was able to create links on the host server from
public_html/genealogy/dynamic/image to public_html/genealogy/images and
from public_html/genealogy/dynamic/thumb to public_html/genealogy/thumb, saving some bandwidth and time when I update the site.

After generating the reports on my local computer (Kubuntu), I use diff to compare the new images and thumb directories to the previous version of the reports and I create tar files that contain only the new and changed files from those directories. (I have over 16000 media objects that I include on my website, so it saves a lot of time and bandwidth to only upload new files.) I also create a tar file of the Dynamic Web Report without the image and thumb directories, and another of the Narrated Web Site without the images and thumb directories (I also omit the css directory most of the time because it normally doesnā€™t change and I have made a few customizations that I donā€™t want to overwrite).

Once I create those four tar files, I use sftp to upload them and then I use ssh to extract the files and remove the tar files after they are no longer needed (I am reaching the space limits on my server, so I canā€™t leave them there very long).

It may be a bit cumbersome, but it works better for me than anything Iā€™ve tried with my hosting service, and compared to the time it takes to generate the reports, it goes very quickly. (Because of the number of media objects, it takes my computer about 15 hours to generate a Narrated Web Site and about an hour to generate a Dynamic Web Report.)

Allen Crider

1 Like

This is the Ideas section of the forum. Threads here tend to get response only when the idea captures the imagination of people who ALSO use the same feature.

The Help section tends to get more response ā€” provided the inquiry is clearcut.

BTW, since the vast majority of Gramps addons are in Python, a Javascript addon is at a distinct disadvantage.

I couldnā€™t even find a javascript file named: dwr_conf.js So Iā€™m stuck there.

It is a generated file. If you run the report, youā€™ll find it in the output folder along with many other .js files.

1 Like

Perhaps using rsync could help if it is possible. Only the changed files would be uploaded.

I expected all the css files to be located under (data/bootstrap) and after many hours of searching I thought that there might be someone here among you who could direct me to these files (INFO or HELP are all worth it) where I could make changes to the web pages. After a few more hours of searching, I noticed that there was also a css file hidden directly under /data/.

Of course, one must run the Dynamic Web Report first to find the files that change the appearance of the web page:
www/gramps/data/dwr_styles.css

Line 482 /* === Change the size of the header in the Navbar ===/
Line 555 +/- /
=== Changes the font etc. on the person pages ===*/

So now Iā€™m going to test this out on my local server and hopefully end up with a readable web page.

I mentioned earlier that I usually deleted everything on the server before a new update from my local server, but you donā€™t need this if you are sure that no ā€œpermanentā€ program files contain new data. But then also make sure that there are no errors out there. Not all servers are equally stable when we are constantly updating new data. I had my server for many years in the US with cPanel and switched this year to a server in Norway, but then without cPanel. This works fine with FileZilla and local server.

My next step with DWR will be to find out how to make a family tree better. I have looked a bit at TOPOLA and how this can be incorporated into DWR.

Maybe Iā€™m on the right track with this:

https://pewu.github.io/topola-viewer/#/view?url=https://jawiknor.com/JAW22/Link.php%3Ffile=Tree1.ged

Can you post a screen capture if what youā€™re trying to illustrate is concerned the general appearance of Topola? (As opposed to a particular relationship in that GEDCOM subset.)

Topola was complaining that https://jawiknor.com/JAW22/Link.php%3Ffile=Tree1.ged was giving a ā€˜file not foundā€™ error.

And trying to open
https://jawiknor.com/JAW22/Link.php?file=Tree1.ged directly gives security warnings, then a 404 error with Chrome.

If it is about the general rendering style of Topola, hereā€™s a capture of their (Shakespeare) sample GEDCOM

1 Like

Iā€™m on the right track. The fact that Topola did not come up with a family tree is because that link is only one example of how this can develop.

I can run Topola with over 7,000 people without problems, but there will be too many people on one screen and a worse overview.

1 Like

Topola Genealogy Viewer is ok.

But now a serious problem appears with Dynamic Web Report. The same as I previously experienced with the Narrated Web Site.

Is there a limit placed on how many times one can use these?

DWR and NWS do not make complete reports on regular use.
Gramps has 7,863 people and 2,326 families registered, but only 7,841 people and 2,315 families, no family names and places were listed in the new DWR. Fortunately, I can test this out on my local server before publishing it on the web.

The Gedcom file from Gramps is ok and shows correct results when re-uploaded.

Since I am looking for a stable system, is this not good enough.

NB: Disregard this post as I think I know where the problem lies.

It was my fault that problems arose in the Dynamic Web Report when I mistakenly transferred the entire file dwr_conf.js and not just lines 20 to 23.
And now we have a new readable content in https://www.jawiknor.com/.

FYI there is also Gramps Web (disclosure: I am one of the main contributors) which has this family tree view:

Itā€™s not a report like Narrated or Dynamic Web but an full Gramps instance running on a web server that you can synchronize with your Desktop Gramps. Admittedly, installing it is not trivial, the (IMO) easiest option at the moment is described here:

It has advantages and disadvantages compared to the web reports, depends on your use case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.