Context menus broken for Command Line Module

This is something that was working on my Gramps 5.1.5 version on Windoze and has suddenly stopped. The first suspect was a recently updated add-on. (Since the add-on redefines the Context Menu and might have adjusted the parent CLI window instead of the spawned Gramps GUI window.) But I have removed the whole Plugins folder from the Gramps51 subfolder of my Gramps User Directory . The problem persists.

I can no longer use the right-click context menu (to mark and copy the logging content of the Windows Command Line Interface window) while Gramps is running. The menu is completely gone.

This occurs both when launching from the Gramps console icon or opening a CLI window, changing to the Gramps folder and calling the Gramps.exe application file. (I had a couple spontaneous exits and was hoping to capture an error message in the log.) After Gramps closes, the context menu becomes accessible again.

(There are a few extra non-critical messages due to moving the Plugins folder:)

Could some other users check their Windows, Linux & Mac versions and see if their Context Menus are available in the Command Line Interface?

in case you aren’t thinking of it, when you have spontaneous exit, there is likely no Gramps logging possible. Since it may mean that Windows has killed Gramps, Gramps has no chance to log anything.
If you noted the approximate time, you can use the Windows Event Viewer to figure out why Gramps was killed.

regarding the Win Cmd shell, for me, the right click menu only appears when the cursor/mouse pointer is over the title bar.

I don’t have much hope of a log message identifying the actual terminal event for a spontaneous exit.

But, the exit is sometimes the culmination of a cascade of errors. And the messages leading up to the exit can give clues.

The context menu only on a title bar is odd behavior too. Are you running Windows in a VM?

no, direct on Win10, and using cmd.exe, there are other command shells.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.