What is a Note of type Link?

When creating a Note, user can choose Link type. Please take care I am not talking about the “link editor” which allows to insert internet links or links to other Gramps objects and, therefore, this question is not the same.

Documentation in this page just mentions the name and tells of no recognised usage.

Source code in gramps/gen/lib/notetype.py enumerates the possible type values which just says

# indicate a note used as link in another note
  LINK = 26

The comment seems to be faulty, at least because the feature is nowhere used.

What is it? Does the URL object replace some intended but never implemented feature?

Using Gramps 5.1.6 under Fedora 38 and KDE Plasma desktop

I believe that the Note Type has no purpose within Gramps. It is merely useful as an indication to the user as to the contents of the note.

Links created by the Link Editor work with or without Link type being attached to the note. Personally I always change the Note type to LINK when creating a Internet or Internal Link within the note.

George Baynes

I’ve been looking at note types in relation to PR #1417: “Add additional note types”.

My understanding is as follows:

Note Type Uses
Citation Formatted citations.
Html code Narrated Web Site report inclusions.
Link Website links.
Report Anything that should be included in a report. The exact use depends in the object that the note is attached to. Examples include: Biography for a person, Story for an event and Name Origin for a name.
Research Research reports - the outcome of research.
Source text The contents of a Gedcom “Text from Source” tag.
To Do A To Do note or research plan.
Transcript A transcription of a source.
General The default. This should be used for anything else.

Html code and To Do have special uses within Gramps. Html code notes are used to include html in narrative web pages. To Do notes are used by the TO Do gramplet.

The PR brings up the issue that there is no special note type for evidence analysis or proof arguments. GedcomX has a document type of “Analysis” described as “analysis done by a researcher, often used as a genealogical proof statement”. This seems like a reasonable addition to Gramps.

(Continuing this topic, which is closed.) [moved]

I noticed that the Remove Unused Objects Tool doesn’t show some of the notes that appear when I filter the Notes view on those that have zero references. I realized the ones missing from the tool’s output were all of type Link (in which I store URLs of records I’ve found online; I attach these notes to citations, in addition to attaching images).

I found that the omission was the outcome of issue 9688, and that also appears to be when the type “Link” was added, though it seems that some other meaning of “Link” was being discussed there.

Anyway, if you are using notes of type “Link”, and wish to find out if you have any unused ones, you can create a custom filter in the Notes category view the rule "Notes with a reference count of 0".