How to best record links?

I have always used those for the same purpose, but recently I became aware that they are apparently intended for notes containing links to other Gramps objects.

Those both sound good to me, with a few caveats:

• I would like a way to track any restrictions the repository imposes on using the link. To use FamilySearch as an example, viewing the images requires a user account (albeit a free one), but even then, some images are only viewable from an affiliate library and not from home. I’m more likely to remove my local copies of images that can be viewed from anywhere, but not the others.

• For all media (not just images linked by URLs), I would like to track what permission, if any, I have to use it (whether through the terms of service of the repository, or explicit permission granted to me by the copyright holder upon my request). This hasn’t been a priority for me yet, because I haven’t published any media.

I like the idea of cascading the information rather than chasing the occurrences. Meanwhile, could there be a Tool that tests URLs (perhaps based on filter conditions, so that the test can be limited as desired) and reports on any broken ones?

1 Like