The right stuff: Type of Note

I was looking at Note Types trying to figure out which to use in a particular situation.

In particular, I wanted to learn the difference between a Transcript & a Citation type of Note. (Which type should be used when adding a note to a newspaper article Citation for a vetbatim transcription of an obituary?)

The wiki skips over this entirely. I was surprised to discover that Gramps adds types that aren’t selectable from the pop-up menu. (Adding a note in the Person Editor creates a Note of type Person Note… but this is not a menu option when adding one in the Notes category view. These seem to be the default more often than General type.)

With a bit of searching, I found features that leverage a couple of the built-in Types and added a table to the wiki. (Found a “Known issues” section which says a Source Note is created during TMG imports but it was unclear.)

Do you know why & where we should use each type?

1 Like

I haven’t used the “Citation” type. I’ve used the “Transcript” type for cases where I have an image in the Gallery, but it’s not easily readable. Examples include inscriptions on cemetery headstones, and hand-written entries in old German church books. For the latter, I also use separate “Translation” type notes for my translations. Otherwise, most of my notes are either “Link” or “General” (commentary).

By the way, @emyoulation, thanks so much to you and others for all that you put into the wiki!

2 Likes

Thanks for the vote of confidence George.

But I do mostly clean up and little stuff. (Trying to be a WikiGnome but with poor hiding skills. Always first outta the game in Hide’n’seek too!) The other WikiContributors have done the hard work & @sam888 has been doing the thanklessly important stuff.

I appreciate any criticism and feedback on the wiki… particularly from new users. Since MediaWiki editting is too steep of a learning curve to stack on that of Gramps, I’ve been happy to pinch-hit & incorporate new user suggestions for our wiki.

In your example, I would use Transcript and as @GeorgeWilmes uses Translation as the case may be. Types for notes I will try to label for what the note contains.

Citation I would use to point something out about the information. “Blurred image”, “partial, left side lost to…” “In French”. Things about the citation, not about the information I gleaned from the citation.

As noted, very few Types trigger any action within Gramps. “Html code” and “To Do” being the exceptions.

2 Likes

Most objects can have a note attached. Many of the note types were introduced to help find a note from a backlink reference. As you point out, these are set automatically by default.

1 Like

I use transcript notes to partial or full transcription of the source citation.
I use citation to cite the part(s) of the source citation I join to an event to explain/illustrate it or to explain choices I made.

About wiki, thanks a lot to each creator and updater.

A remark about html notes in the new table you made. You say they’re used for Narrated Web Site. I would say they could be used to any web purposes. I.e. I’d created such notes to be sure citations medias are displayed on Geneanet in association with the source citation of some events (I include html keywords with dropbox url of my source images in them). These notes travel very well into gedcom for this.

1 Like

I agree that more Web Reports should probably be mentioned.

But I haven’t used ANY of the Web generation tools. (I started my family website in '99 when HTML was primitive and everything was hand-coded in notepad. None of the reports approach the aesthetic appeal that evolved for that site.) The documentation is unclear on how/when Html Code notes are integrated.

How do you suggest the wiki be improved? Do all the reports approach Html Code type notes the same way? If so, maybe a How do I… article could be generated which is referenced by each report wiki section as well as the Notes documention?

1 Like

I use the Citation Note for adding a full Citation String (with bibliography) in i.e. APA or Chicago style…
And I make a custom “Bibliography Note” for the source, where I add the full bibliography of a source if it exist…

I use Transcript when I write from text to text and Transcribe if I should transcribe anything from a voice or video record, i.e. an interview…

I would use a Translate type (custom) if I translated something from original language to i.e. my native language…

1 Like

I like that bibliographical distinction.

Gramps really has no facility to do a proper inline, footnote or endnote conforming to any of the standard Citation formats. It’s nice to discover how some people are working around that.

In the materials that I’ve inherited (scrapbooks, photos, family artifacts & research), so many original items have become separated from tags or never had ancestors identified. And most of the digitized materials have no provenance documented. (On the flip side, I cringe when seeing antique originals that have been defaced with ink annotations & stickers.)

There’s not a satisfactory built-in solution (in any genealogy tools I’ve seen) so we have to choose the best workarounds.

Legacy familytree build full citation and bibliography strings of the source data, if its registered correct, but the form based registration are cumberstone when you shall register a source that do not confirm to the “american standard”…

I use Zotero as my source and document collect, register and archive software, after registering my sources in Zotero, I copy the sources from zotero to Gramps, that creates both citations and bibliography strings in the style I want, Zotero support some 4000 CSL styles…
There are a python library for zotero, so it should be possible to create a gramplet utilizing zotero, or the Better BibTeX addon for zotero, or export to bibtex from jabref, and use i.e. pandoc to convert it to human readable text… i.e. a citation string…
But the copy/paste or drag & drop, usually works well… The citation and bibliography strings from zotero can be copied into all Gramps text fields as long as they support the lenght of the string… and to any notes…
I do think the same can be don from JabRef, Mendeley, EndNote or Citava to, but i have not tested it… I have JabRef installed, so I shall do a test later…

1 Like

Took some time, but I have now tested JabRef, and it is possible to copy Citations from JabRef to any text field or note in Gramps…

You nee to add the Citation Style you want to use to the “Entry Preview”, under Preferences, then you can just right click on your Source in JabRef, -> Copy… -> Copy Citation… -> Copy to Text.

Or any other way you see fit…

I’m not a JabRef poweruser, so there might be easier ways of doing it…

If you want a full Biblatex/Bibtex Citation its just “Copy/paste”, but this will generate a citation that is not practical for anything but a Citation Note.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.