this is the Ubuntu wiki that explains usr is no longer used NOTE: I did what it suggests in this screen shot and it made no difference
as for gramps and the fontconfig…
Diagnostic Gramplet to help evaluate if Gramps has all prerequisites installed.
You have Gramps 5.1.2. Please make a backup and then upgrade.
Gramps 5.1.3, is the most current version.
The following packages MUST be installed (Requires the minimum version or greater.):
- Python 3.8.2 (Passed: version 3.3.0 or greater installed.)
- GTK+ 3.24.20 (Passed: version 3.12.0 or greater installed.)
- PyGObject 3.36.0 (Passed: version 3.12.0 or greater installed.)
- Cairo 1.16.0 (Passed: version 1.13.1 or greater installed.)
- Pycairo 1.16.2 (Passed: version 1.13.3 or greater installed.)
- Pango 1.44.7 (Passed: version 1.29.3 or greater installed.)
- PangoCairo 1.0
- Berkeley Database library (bsddb3: 5.3.28) (Python-bsddb3 : 6.2.7)
- SQLite Database library (sqlite3: 3.31.1) (Python-sqlite3: 2.6.0)
- xdg-utils (Manual check see instructions link)
- librsvg2 (Manual check see instructions link)
- language-pack-gnome-xx (Manual check see instructions link) for your Language
The following packages are STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to be installed (needed for geography and charts):
- osmgpsmap not found (Requires version 1.0 or greater)
- Graphviz Graphviz not in system PATH
- PyICU not found(ICU not found)
- Ghostscript 9.50
- python-fontconfig not found, (Requires version 0.5.x)
The following packages are optional:
Gtkspell enables spell checking in the notes.
- GtkSpell 3.0 (Passed: version 3.0 or greater installed.) (enchant module: not found)
- rcs installed TBD (Requires version 5.9.4 or greater installed. If not on Microsoft Windows)
Python Image Library (PIL) is needed for cropping images and LaTeX output.
- (PILLOW 7.0.0)
- GExiv2 : not found (Exiv2 library : not found)
- geocodeglib not found (Requires version 1.0 or greater installed.)
For addon Networkchart, font White Rabbit provides an extremely readable result.
- Installed font: found another font
screenshot of fontconfig install
If there is anything else I can get for folks to see, let me know
edit - here is home folder