Typical window sizes

Difficulty deleting!

difficulty deleting what??

Orphaned lines at the ends of some posts, apparently.

(Lest this go on any further…I neglected to delete a fragment from a sentence I had reworked in the original post, namely “Oh, I also see that I have”. That was it. User error.)

i have edited old posts on another Discourse server. it seems to work here.

While trying to determine what the minimum Main Windows size was needed to have 3 columns of Dashboard gramplets without a horizontal scrollbar (about 1152px when the Navigator sidebar is labeled), I ran across an interesting tidbit on StackOverflow. The claim was that the common default for virtual machines is 800x600.

Using the Gramps 5.2 beta on a Win10 Pro laptop, the Main Window default was somewhat smaller than 800x600 or SVGA. (Maybe that was that size to avoid the “Full Screen” GUI idiosyncrasies. Or maybe it was to leave room to access OS menu bar, status bar and Icons?)

From the defaults in the gramps.ini file:

;;main-window-height=500
;;main-window-horiz-position=15
;;main-window-vert-position=10
;;main-window-width=775

Perhaps Gramps main-windows defaults could be adaptive to the screen resolution?

resolution = (self.get_screen().get_primary_monitor().get_geometry().width, self.get_screen().get_primary_monitor().get_geometry().height)

And GDK has a Gdk.Screen class functionality for working with the virtual screen geometries.