Enlarging fonts (again)

Gramps 5.1.3 starting with no data on Xubuntu 18.04.5 last upgraded this morning.

a while back someone suggested i could enlarge fonts with a theme. i recall mention of a plugin. i didn’t record what steps to carry out because i wasn’t sure what parts would be instructions. i was hoping to come back to it later.

now i can’t find that thread.

i’d like to enlarge Gramp’s window to full screen size (1920x1080) and about double the size of the fonts to almost match the window size increase. maybe after i acquire more experience i can go with a smaller font.

i’m going to “start all over” by junking the ~/.gramps tree. i can do this because i have not manually entered any data, yet. there is nothing to lose … yet.

so, can someone remind me the steps to install and activate a theme that will (let me) enlarge the fonts? i also want to know the command option to use full screen. i tried -geometry 1920x1080 and it gave me an error about that X11 standard option.

what i need is to know how to do what i need to do to get yo that point. i can enlarge my view of the display, but any movement of the mouse results in a proportional opposite movement of the portion of view of the display. it’s an awkward way to work but it’s what i have available for now. i did not see any steps how to get the font size set.

i can enlarge the window, OK. quit and restart and it comes back the same size. so, that leaves knowing how to set the font size. are you saying it will not remember the font size? i’m guessing 20pts might be what i need. do i need to put “20” into one of those .ini files?

As @emyoulation posted, you need to install the Themes addon. Once installed, there will be a new Tab in the Preferences panel where you actually make changes to the Gramps display and fonts.

2 Likes

I think you’re remembering our discussion over here. As @DaveSch has noted, you want the Themes (plural) add-on, which will then, in typical fashion, add a tab to the preferences called “Theme” (singular) and show up in the Plugin Manager (which I also recommend installing) as “Theme preferences”. :man_shrugging:

On my 2017 MBP I use the Adwaita theme with 14-pt Helvetica and “Toolbar text” checked, and find it readable.

that’s not the one i was thinking about. i was thinking about something i believe was months ago, maybe around June.

what i am not understanding, yet, is the name of the theme to be installed.

That is because the base Font size isn’t defined in the saved Themes. Those just have the offsets.

The setting for the Base Font Family & Size is a control in the add-on Theme Preferences Tab.

so, what is the name of what i need to add? i thought there was a theme i needed to add like maybe “Adwaita”.

Adwaita is the default theme. When you download & install the Themes add-on, it will include a couple themes & their ‘dark’ variants.

Just entirely ignore the Theme selection and choose a larger font size from the font picker in the new Theme Preferences tab.

This is one of the most basic add-ons for Gramps. You can experiment with it a bit. These changes are live after the add-on is installed, you don’t need to restart Gramps to see theme changes.

Don’t overthink it.

More pictures to help you.

2 Likes

I attach a screenshot showing the Plugin Manager view. BTW, the Plugin Manager can (strangely to my mind) be found under the Help Menu.

PS The image also demonstrates the (snarky) point I was also making: the plugin is called one thing in the plugin manager (“Theme preferences”), another on the download page (“Themes”), and yet a third thing appears on the tab it inserts in to the preferences (“Theme”).

Actually, it was the snarky point you were failing to make. :wink:

If you would’ve just said that they weren’t labeled consistently labeled, then there would’ve been a LOT less frustration all around.

There’s a widespread problem with consistency of the addon/add-on/AddOns/plugin/plug-in/PlugIns installer/manager interfaces (with additional discrepancies between the Enhanced & built-in) , code, preferences, & wiki.

I don’t think that resolution of the discrepancies is viable until the .gpr.py registration is expanded to be consistent for all add-on categories (with help_url & standardization of thumbnail naming), the download control file is expanded to include those items, and both the plug-in managers & the wiki add-on list are driven by that expanded file.

There just too many places to manually harmonize.

I’m completely baffled by this remark. I made my comment a couple of days ago about what to look for and what theme settings I used. I think I was pretty clear. I fail to see how the embedded snarkiness could have cause a LOT of frustration for anyone, since it was entirely tangential. (And no one mentioned it either.)

It’s not a big deal, but for me it’s another sign of how the user experience is very low on the project to-do lists. Making sure that plugins and other things are uniformly named is a pretty basic UI thing.

1 Like

The frustration was that you seemed to be asking ‘how to’ over & over. And it was answered repeatedly with people bending over backwards with with increasingly painful detail or alternative approaches. Your replies indicated that you still didn’t understand.

But then it seems that your apparent confusion was just a passive-agressive way of expressing a negative opinion of the interface.

You’re in a “Help” forum and you’re pushing for a change in the program. Can you see how aggravating that made the thread for the people replying?

Not the right venue for this complaint. If you want a change, go through and map out the change you want, then submit it as an enhancement request… or if you have the skills, take on the project yourself.

You could start a discussion under Ideas if you don’t have a concrete suggestion yet.

What are you talking about? I answered the OP’s question. I never asked one of my own. You’re apparently upset with @philhoward, not me.

You should read more carefully.

Then I apologize. Losing track of names is one of my many faults.

I do not understand why the font size question was repeated so many times. And, as I said, I was frustrated by such a clear answer being persistently ignored.

1 Like

this ia yet another step i’ll need to know how to do. first i’ll try to just go do it and see how obvious it really is (with the window enlarged). if it is not obvious (i’m still not accustomed to GUI stuff), then it’s time to go through the manual and wiki. if that doesn’t resolve it, i’'ll be back here with it.

every time someone said the install “Themes” i was thinking it meant to install a theme with a name that being unsaid, was assumed i’d figure out.

i’ve lived in an all command-line world for ages. only a few years ago did graphical speeds reach the point i could work on the graphical terminal programs instead of the “hard” text consoles in Linux and BSD. i was just using virtual terminals to start firefox and everything else, including starting 3 copies of X windows, was done on 9 text consols.

today its 18 copies of X windows with Xfce and 10 virtual work spaces in each, i can switch around them all and don’t use the text mode console at all.

but i’m still not well accustomed to the GUI world anything close to like i am the command line world. i have over 3000 scripts that enhance what i do. today, most are in Python. and i think i have them all converted to Python3. a few remain in bash because the amount of work is large.

so, don’t assume i can just do stuff in GUI. if you tell me to delete something, i’ll want to know its file name so i can use the “rm” command.

but a little bit of “figure it out” helps me learn. i’ve gotten pretty good on the Ancestry web site over the past few years. now my cousin asks me for help (and he got me started on it ages ago).

It helps a lot to be told that you’re looking for CLI configuring options instead of GUI. There appears to be a lot that can be performed with scripts in Gramps. But I’ve only looked at that capability in a cursory fashion.

The Plugin Manager is the recommended & safer way to manage the addon installations But if you want to find a file to manually install for any addon, look in the Addon List on the wiki. The last column of that table is ‘Download’ and has a link to the archive.

The installation instructions are for .ZIP or .gz files that haven’t been released to the Plugin Manager… You’ll find that the addon packages that are ready for public release are in .tgz TAR archive format … these are archives made with Gnu Zip (gzip) software. Otherwise, the instructions are the same.

For the Themes addon, the file is:
Themes.addon.tgz

You can download it and expand in the User Directory
/gramps51/plugins/Themes

When it is registered, it will add a few lines to the the gramps.ini in the gramps51 directory.
Look for the [preferences] chunk.
look for a line similar to
font='Sans 10'

increase the point size to
font='Sans 14'