Time frames for place names

5.1.5 win10
I don’t fully understand how to setup places with time frames. For example, I have many places in England. United Kingdom should be added after 1801.
How should this be configured?

You could add England as part of UK and on the top field of the UK window indicates “after 1800-12-31”.

Events in places in England will be in <place>, England before 1801 and in <place>, England, UK after.

You would be well advised to not burn time working on it until the 5.2 Place model enhancements have been released… and had a couple months to shake loose the bugs.

Or you may find yourself re-doing a lot of work.

3 Likes

Here is my setup for Woodstock Connecticut. I am showing how I change the actual place name and how it has multiple Enclosed by entries.

A special note to make sure you edit the main name entry.

The last entries with no date is my default option for an event with no date.

2 Likes

Thanks all. I may hold off with any changes until 5.2 comes out. It is not high on my priority list.

On the Reddit r/gramps community, Ben Bliksem also figured out that the Primary name was unreliable unless it also had an “after” date. And the corrective action is not obvious. (Since, unlike the Person Names tab, the ‘preferred name’ is not listed in the tab for intuitive re-organization. And the Preferred Place ‘Edit’ button is less prominent {in the middle of the dialog since that Row has a Name and a Type field.})

Is this a bug that has already been addressed in the 5.2 design? Or does it need to be reported?

The Place Cleanup gramplet doesn’t set a date for the Preferred (Primary) place name when bringing in Alternatives. This repeatedly creates Gramps display behavior that seems inconsistent.

The early version of 5.2 I saw had a Names tab instead of Alternative Names. The main entry was added to the list and moving any entry to the top position made that entry the main option. It will be very obvious that the main entry does need date information to make the whole list work.

1 Like