Simple Starter question about data input - how?

This is why when a cousin wants their branch of the family I give them a narrated website on a thumb drive to them. It is something they already know how to navigate and I create the welcome page specific to them with a quick link to their record. The narrweb (and the dynamic) are great because it can display all levels of information which is not available in most reports.

The footer of each page has in bold and in red that it for family use only and not to be published to the web especially because it will contain living people.

2 Likes

Digression Warning Not on Topic:

@DaveSch - But do those hold all the Sources, all the Notes, all the Places, all the Repositories?
and can you use the Gramps internal links in Notes?

I know those are great solutions, but some of the problem for me is that I for some people in my database has hundreds of Sources and same with Events, and there can be the same amount or more Citations…
i.e. I have 3 male relatives (3 generations) that all was factory owner and had a part in the Norwegian Industry History, one of thos alone has 27 Patents and I have more than 200 documents for just 10-15 years of his life… more than 250 sources… for him alone… and he was active for nearly 50 years…

I do now that this is research way outside of any “normal” genealogy research, but that’s exaclty why I use Gramps, its the only software (I have licenses for Legacy, RotsMagic and a few other), and thats also why I wish for more interoperability regarding export formats (sadly I’m not a developer, and I know its Open Source, so I try to limit my askings)…

—JSON-LD would be great…

If is it linked in Gramps, it gets added to the narrweb. Tags do not but they are tools for the user. If it is attached to an event, source, citation… everything finds a way into the narrative.There are separate pages for places, sources, media as well as everything attached to the person or family.

I figure, it is often the document that people are most interested in. So to see the death certificate attached to the citation attached to the death event… the narrweb is the way to go.

But a word of advise. The New England Genealogical Society publishes a book once a year with things they have researched and compiled, starting in 1847. Most are now available as PDF from google books so I downloaded all that I could find and attached the PDF to one source. The problem was when I first ran the narrweb for a cousin that had citations from a few of the volumes, all of the volumes were added to narrweb and not just for the few that she would actually need. I soon split the one source into one for each volume and fixed corresponding citations. A lot of tedious, meticulous work. And there were other sources with the same multiple volume pdf issue.

The citation issue is one of the reasons I do not add citations to the bits of information the source does not actually ‘prove’; ie adding the death certificate to the birth. Citation clutter.

1 Like

I don’t add sources or citations to that either, I have learned my lesson (Familyseach app in Legacy), it can really clutter up your database with all those extra citations…

I only do that if there are Alternative names or dates, so that I have documentation on differences…

One document/volume or book are one source, a National Census are a Source, the document for an address/household are a citation (this is the reason I would like to have Sources and Sub Sources, to be able to split a source into sections…

I also create one Citation for each part of a document I use, if its a page or if its a paragraph, but if a paragraph or page gives information about i.e. both Names and Events AND Place, I use only one citation for that paragraph, but if there are different paragrphs on a page giving different inofrmation, I create a new citation for that paragraph (or page in a document)…

I nearly never add media directly to a person or family, only portraits of them if I have… any other document is attached to a source with the kind of the same name (I always try to have descriptive names on my files, thats cited from an Event, and I allways add repositories for both where I found the claim/facts/documents, and where the “original” would be stored if I know…

1 Like

Here is the latest version. It does not explicitly say do this or that to add parents or families, etc. But hopefully asks the new user to explore the view around them. (pun not intended) They have been given the tools, they just need to actually see them.

Enter your first Family

You will now want to start entering your first Family and that starts with the first Person.

Switch to the “People” view and from the menu clicking “Add” and then clicking “Person” (or using the [+] icon) will bring up the window to enter a person. Entering the basic information and saving the record gives you a starting point. Select this Person’s record and now switch to the “Relationships” view.

With this first person, all of the menu options and icon functions have become available. Spend some time moving your mouse over the icons. As your cursor passes over an icon, a message will appear telling you the icon’s function. The same is true for any of the edit windows. Moving the mouse cursor over an item will tell you what it will do.

You can now create families by adding parents, a spouse and children. Once started, you will be able to add Events to People and Families. You can provide Sources and Citations to provide documentation for your entries.

As you start using Gramps, you will find that information can be entered from all the various Views. There are multiple ways of doing most activities in Gramps. The flexibility allows you to choose which fits your work style.

• Entering and editing data (brief)

1 Like

I’d like to point out that the Relationship view layout makes adding Parents (and subsequently, adding siblings) intuitive.

But adding a Partner requires looking for a control outside of the window’s positional metaphor … to the Toolbar or a menu. And since the interface is cluttered, this effectively hides adding a spouse (& subsequently, offspring).

Because the process is less intuitive & different, the interface steps for adding a partner ought to be explicitly covered.

1 Like