Simple Starter question about data input - how?

Here is the current complete version.

Intro

Gramps is a software package designed for genealogical research. Although similar to other genealogical programs, Gramps offers some unique and powerful features.

Who makes Gramps?

Gramps is created by genealogists for genealogists, organized in the Gramps Project. Gramps is an Open Source Software package, which means you are free to make copies and distribute it to anyone you like. It’s developed and maintained by a worldwide team of volunteers whose goal is to make Gramps powerful, yet easy to use.

Getting Started

To create a new Family Tree (sometimes called ‘database’) select “Family Trees” from the menu, pick “Manage Family Trees”, press “New” and name your Family Tree. “Load Family Tree” to make the tree active and ready to accept data by entering your first family, or importing a family tree. For more details, please read the information at the links below.

Enter your first Family

You will now want to start entering your first Family and that starts with the first Person.

Switch to the “People” view and from the menu “Add” and “Person” (or using the [+] icon) will bring up the window to enter a person. Entering the basic information and saving the record gives you a starting point. Select this Person’s record and now switch to the “Relationships” view. With this first person you can now create families by adding parents, a spouse and children.

Once started you will be able to provide Sources and Citations to provide documentation for your entries.

Information can be entered in various Views within Gramps.

Importing a Family Tree

To import a Family Tree from another program first create a GEDCOM (or other data) file from the previous program.

Once you have created a new Gramps database file, use the “Import” option under the “Family Trees” menu to import the GEDCOM data.

Dashboard View

You are currently reading from the “Dashboard” view, where you can add your own gramplets. You can also add gramplets to any view by adding a sidebar and/or bottombar, and right-clicking to the right of the tab.

You can click the configuration icon in the toolbar to add additional columns, while right-click on the background allows to add gramplets. You can also drag the Properties button to reposition the gramplet on this page, and detach the gramplet to float above Gramps.

Addons and "Gramplets"

There many Addons or “Gramplets” that are available to assist you in data entry and visualizing your family tree. Many of these tools are already available to you. Many more are available to download and install.

Links

• Home Page
• Start with Genealogy and Gramps
• Gramps online manual
• Ask questions on gramps-users mailing list
• Addons and “Gramplets”
• YouTube TEST

1 Like

Its a serie of 7-8 videos, numbered from 1 and up

Maybe the 4th vidoe is the best startingpoint if the user has already managed to install Gramps.

The sentence I was thinking about was the first in the second paragraph.
… instead of; - “Add” and “Person”…
maybe use “On the menu bar, click “Add” and then click “Person” or use the [+] icon on the toolbar to add a person.”

and the last sentence:
“you will learn that…”

maybe change it to something like: “As you start using Gramps, You will soon learn that information can be entered from all the various Views within Gramps”

Or something similar… just a little more nonetechy language…

PS. I do not use English as my native language, so it might be I see it all wrong…

Already gone. Rereading it I thought it was condescending. Now is it too terse? How about:

“As you start using Gramps, you will find that information can be entered from all the various Views within Gramps.”

You and I were posting at the same time.

As a non-English user, your (and others) understanding of the what I am trying to convey is the most important. If you can understand it, an English speaker can.

This is very understandable, and better English than mine… and its a full sentence :slight_smile:

PS. I’m not the best “average testuser” for understanding common English, since I have read more Technical English books and articles than most Native English Speaking people will do in a lifetime… so I can more Technical English than Common English… lol

1 Like

Intro

Gramps is a software package designed for collecting, analyzing and publishing genealogical research. Gramps offers some unique and powerful features without the limits of commercial software or reliance on cloud connectivity.

Who makes Gramps?

Gramps is created by genealogists for genealogists, organized in the Gramps Project. Gramps is an Open Source Software package… which means everyone may openly make copies and legitimately distribute it to anyone they choose. Since 2004, Gramps has been developed and maintained by a worldwide team of volunteers whose goal is to make a free genealogy tool that is powerful and progressively easier to use. If you don’t like the way something works, you’re welcome to change it.

Getting Started

To create a new Family Tree (also called a ‘database’), select “Manage Family Trees…” from the “Family Trees” menu, press the “New” button and name your Family Tree. Click the “Load Family Tree” button (at the lower right) to make the empty tree active and ready to accept data.

Most of the features remain pointless until there is family data to be explored. So the next step is to manually enter your first family or import family data from another genealogy program. (Example importable data is available if you just want to explore the various features of Gramps.)

(((
embed this the following link in the text above or add explicit instructions for offline users.
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Example.gramps
)))

These are clearly contrasting approaches. There are multiple ways of doing most things in Gramps. The flexibility allows you to choose what fits your workstyle. For more details, please skip to the section describing the approach to data entry that you prefer.

But first, click the icon that looks like a document with wrench at the top of this section to detach these instructions from the Dashboard. With the instructions floating as a window off to the side, you can move through the interface without losing track of the next step.

Manually enter your first Family

You will now want to start entering your first Family and the first Person as a building block. You could start with an Ancestor (filling in the Family progressively towards today) or with you (filling in the Family backwards into the past)

This introduction was started in the “Dashboard” view. Switch to the “People” view by clicking on the person shaped icon in the “Navigator” panel to the left. (Have you detached this tutorial as suggested above?)

Choose “Person” from the “Add” menu (or use the [+] icon on the toolbar below the menus) to bring up the window to create a container for information about a person. Entering their given name and surname is the minimum data. (Although not required, you could add biographical information by clicking the [+] icon under the Events tab. Gramps will guess the most likely basic life “Event type” on each successive add.) Clicking the “OK” button commits the creation of this starting point. Gramps will ask the Gender but will slowly learn to guess genders based on the given name.

Select this Person’s record and then switch to the “Relationships” view. With this first person established, you can now create the immediate family around them. Click the [+] icon in the Parents to open the framework for adding parents and siblings (under the Children tab) using the [+] icon in each section. Similarly, add a spouse and offspring by clicking the “Partner” icon on the toolbar below the menu.

Click on another person in the Relationship view to make them the Active Person. Now clicking the [+] icon adds that Person’s immediate family. So, selecting the Spouse allows In-Laws and stepchildren to be added. Selecting a Parent allows Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles to be added.

For each added item, you are also able to add Sources and Citations to provide proof for your entries.

Information can be entered in various Views within Gramps. However, those records have an unknown relationship to the People in the Tree framework until being attached manually. Retroactive attachment can be done with the Share icon or by dragging the object into one of the Edit windows.

Importing a Family Tree

To import a Family Tree from another program, first generate a GEDCOM (or other data format) file from the previous program. Do an initial test with a limited tree, no more than a few thousand people. Gramps has been tested for importing trees with millions of people. But imports that large could take days to process.

GEDCOM is the most common data exchange format for Genealogy software. On the other hand, Gramps can also import disjointed vCard data that has been exported from smartphone address-books as well as a multitude of other formats. For many of those formats, the linkage of the data items is undefined and has to be redefined after import. As an example, vCards import isolated Persons that have to be linked into Families.

Once you have created a new Gramps Tree (database) file, select the “Import” option from the “Family Trees” menu to pop up the file selection dialog. Find and select the data file to be imported.

Dashboard View

You are currently reading from the “Dashboard” view, where you can add your own selection of gramplets.

You can click the configuration icon in the toolbar to add additional columns, while right-click on the Dashboard background allows to add gramplets. You can also drag the Properties button to reposition the gramplet on this page, and detach the gramplet to float above Gramps.

You can also add gramplets to any view by showing a sidebar and/or bottombar via the “View” menu. Additional gramplets are added from the pop-up menu under the gadget at the right of the titlebar.

Addons and "Gramplets"

There many Addons or “Gramplets” designed to streamline data entry or provide different ways visualizing your family tree. Many of these tools are already built into the original installation. Many more are available to download and install.

Links

• Home Page
• Start with Genealogy and Gramps
• Gramps online manual
• Ask questions on gramps-users mailing list
• Addons and “Gramplets”
• YouTube TEST

Okay. The latest. I have made a few alterations in the wording and have moved the links to each category and added a few more links. The links hopefully give the greater information that @emyoulation suggested.

I have not yet added the you tube link @StoltHD suggested. I think someone in the know, @Nick-Hall , should weigh in before adding links to things outside of Gramps.

Intro

Gramps is a software package designed for genealogical research. Although similar to other genealogical programs, Gramps offers some unique and powerful features.

Home Page

Who makes Gramps?

Gramps is created by genealogists for genealogists, organized in the Gramps Project.

Gramps is an Open Source Software package, which means you are free to make copies and distribute it to anyone you like. It’s developed and maintained by a worldwide team of volunteers whose goal is to make Gramps powerful, yet easy to use.

There is an active community of users available on the mailing lists and Discourse forum to share ideas and techniques.

Gramps online manual

Ask questions on gramps-users mailing list

Gramps Discourse Forum

Getting Started

The first time Gramps is started all of the Views are blank. There are very few menu options. A Family Tree is needed for any activity to happen.

To create a new Family Tree (sometimes called ‘database’) select “Family Trees” from the menu, pick “Manage Family Trees”, press “New” and name your Family Tree. “Load Family Tree” to make the tree active and ready to accept data by entering your first family, or importing a family tree. For more details, please read the information at the links below.

Start with Genealogy and Gramps

Enter your first Family

You will now want to start entering your first Family and that starts with the first Person.

Switch to the “People” view and from the menu clicking “Add” and then clicking “Person” (or using the [+] icon) will bring up the window to enter a person. Entering the basic information and saving the record gives you a starting point. Select this Person’s record and now switch to the “Relationships” view. With this first person you can now create families by adding parents, a spouse and children.

Once started you will be able to provide Sources and Citations to provide documentation for your entries.

As you start using Gramps, you will find that information can be entered from all the various Views. There are multiple ways of doing most activities in Gramps. The flexibility allows you to choose which fits your workstyle.

Entering and editing data (brief)

Importing a Family Tree

To import a Family Tree from another program first create a GEDCOM (or other data) file from the previous program.

Once you have created a new Gramps database file, use the “Import” option under the “Family Trees” menu to import the GEDCOM data.

Import from another genealogy program

Dashboard View

You are currently reading from the “Dashboard” view, where you can add your own gramplets. You can also add gramplets to any view by adding a sidebar and/or bottombar, and right-clicking to the right of the tab.

You can click the configuration icon in the toolbar to add additional columns, while right-click on the background allows to add gramplets. You can also drag the Properties button to reposition the gramplet on this page, and detach the gramplet to float above Gramps.

Gramps View Categories

Addons and "Gramplets"

There many Addons or “Gramplets” that are available to assist you in data entry and visualizing your family tree. Many of these tools are already available to you. Many more are available to download and install.

Addons and “Gramplets”

My frustration when beginning Gramps was that it needed a live net connection to get to the information. Each feature I wanted to explore had hidden dependencies. (Obviously, I wanted to look at the pretty Charts and Maps. But to get a chart, I needed a Family. To make a Family, I needed People and to somehow connect them to one another. To use the dynamic navigation in Charts, I needed multiple interconnected families. And the Geography view turned out to need to touch the Net to get map tiles. One there were tiles, I learned that it mapped Events… but only those related to People or Families. Oh, and the Events needed to have Places, Oh, and the Places have to have GPS coordinates… Oh, and the Coordinates have to be at the lowest level of the of the Hierarchy of Places.)

When I’m evaluating new software, I am suspicious it will include malware. My net connections will be disabled during the eval and it sets off alarms if a programs reaches for the net without explicit permission.

In my case, I wanted to begin exploring Gramps during some downtime when traveling. Internet wasn’t even an option. Having this basic information available without hotlinks would be more bulletproof.

As for including links to sites outside of Gramps-Project.org domain, link rot is hard enough to control on our own domain. (And there are tools like Xenu Link Sleuth to help detect a domain’s rot.) It seems … unwise … to hardcode hyperlinks to domains that are outside our control.

Saw these old pull requests on Github that seem to mention the same things and one even attempts to modify the Welcome Gramplet and aims to make Gramps more inviting for new users!

All of these pull request seem to have been forgotten! It would be great if the developer could finish them?

1 Like

Hey - that’s me!

Yes, I asked the question, and received very helpful answers. But I should explain more.

I started working with computers when they took over a building, and 32k of memory was a cabinet over a hundred cubic feet. I have designed and built databases and systems and interfaces over the years on grown up machines. I was delighted to find Gramps, and that it was in one of these quirky PC originated languages as open source.

I loaded it to my mac a few months ago, and keyed in a few random names and joined them up, mentally ticking the box that syas ’software chosen’

When I came back to it last week though, I had with me the printed output from another package, about 20 years old now, which lays out information in the familiar tree format, which I imagine is the basis for most research - a few lines joining the names.

I sat down to a serious session of keying in the dozens of entries. My simplistic view being that I would find a panel which would contain something like

(ascii art mode on)

Parents (mother) (father) < search facility. ’not known’ and ‘placeholder’ values permitted

Person details (forename (s) ) (Surname) ( Maiden name) (click here for more alternative name entry)
Gender ( )

D.O.B ( ) D.O.D ( )

Children (enter number)

(enter)

(ascii art mode off)

This panel enables you to key in basic detail, and how many child record to expect.
At ‘enter’ the record is created and a message issued and logged to say ‘person I’d 999 created {as child of 111 and 222}

The same panel is redisplayed with parent(s) filled in and protected, and iterated for the number of children indicated. The user may exit at any time.

I have suggested a way to access other input, being able to go to a panel giving alternative names (Gramps DOES have that?)

The notion should be extended to allow optional access to the twiddly details of a person that may be on hand, or to keep things cleaner, stay with a simple, clean approach to entering basic data and writing database records. I appreciate the number of 4nf joins behind the scenes.

I looked at export/import and found it more complex, given the amount of potential data, than I wanted - too many empty columns to skip with yet another keystroke, and too much screen real estate used for blanks.

The Gramplet for data entry comes closer, but it still isn’t really simple. I used, I think, family tree maker about 20 years ago on windoze 95 ish, and recall it being easy to use (though limited in scope)

If I even make time, I considerd looking into the whole gramplet mechanism with a view to writing my own plug-in, but I don’t have enough spare time at present.

I’d be happy to help out though, as I can. - I’m a bit of a tarter about user interfaces and details and testing and regression analysis though.

Regards
Richard WIlson
an new eager user,

1 Like

if you are using Excel, I can give You a tips…

Set up the different datasets from Gramps as Excel Tables, then Create a new Worksheet where you create a new Excel Table where the different columns are linked to the columns in the Gramps dataset (with formulas in the respective Gramps dataset) that you want to fill in…

that way the only field you have in your “Input Table” are the Fields you need…

That way you can easily create the linked data, but you need to use the ID for some parts of the linking…

Just remember that the CSV import overwrite the ID’s in Gramps, so if you already have an ID, it will be overwritten, not appended with new or updated data…

It is possible to make a “live” update of tables, but else, the only thing you need to do before exporting the worksheet with Gramps data is to refresh the tables on that one worksheet…

It is possible to do something similar in OpenOffice, but since they don’t have anything like the “Excel Tables”, you most likely need a Basic script to do the copying of formulas to a new line in the worksheet…

1 Like

New section added.

Example Database

Want to see Gramps in use. Create and Import the Example database.

Create a new Family Tree as described above. Suggest that you name the Family Tree “EXAMPLE”.

Import the Gramps file example.gramps.

Follow the instructions for the location of the file stored with the Gramps program.

Example.gramps

I was not so much concerned about link rot but rather any legal implications or concerns from the leadership team.

This enhancement would have solved the switching between views.

Name Editor

In the person’s edit window, go to the Names tab.

You might want to check out the Pedigree view. If you Configure the view to “Show unknown people” it will display empty boxes for unknown parents. Clicking one of those boxes will bring up a new Family window to add those parents (and their children).

Close to (but not quite) what I used when I was using PAF back in the day.

I wonder if import could be changed so that it was a single stage process. As in… iff the user doesn’t have a Tree open when selecting from the Import menu, the process creates a blank Tree (named corresponding to the filename of the import) before importing. AND, after any import, iff no Active or Home Person is set, Gramps selects those to the fallback of the first person created.

This would make the import workflow more consistent with other software. But it would also still support extended control of the current approach when a Tree was loaded. And that could still support the import-merge workflow.

This would need a Feature Request. Right now, without an open database the Import option is not even available.

One idea would have buttons that would automate the initial processes. The problem, what does the new user learn by doing that? You learn by doing it yourself.

Back to the Welcome. Does the wording and the links work better? I really think the welcome needs to be short. Adding the links to each section points the new user to the more detailed explanation if needed.

The Demo section. Does this meet the need for a test drive of the program? For this section, a user does need to access the wiki because for each install, the example.gramps is stored in different locations and for Macs, is not even included and needs to be downloaded.

I spent some time yesterday also learning and finally understanding how to use GitHub to create the pull request to offer up my own changes to the files. This hopefully will be my second.

I strenuously disagree with wiki links to the detailed instruction instead of including the step-by-step.

But it is a reasonable desire to keep this section short & tight.

My selfish reason (of wanting less web dependency) isn’t compelling. Everything is moving toward the IoT … causing people to expect more & more connectivity. –my inner neo-Luddite sighes–

However, the compelling concern is that wiki subsection links won’t work for Translators currently.

In that same vein, is all this text content buried in the Welcome Gramplet code? Embedded text would be hard to internationalize. Hopefully, it is a separate text format markup file (possibly using the Gramps Note object record markup?), that follows the language extension pattern.

I absolutely agree about the difficulty with example.gramps

It has to be a wiki link at this point since the import cross-OS instructions are so different.

Actually, I’ve been using the example file for years now (for bug reproduction & reporting; for wiki screen captures). But I still have no grasp of the overall shape of its Tree. I blindly stumble through the data trying to find data that would represent a feature or concept.

It makes me wonder about sending my research data to Family using the Gramps framework. How will they ever find all the intriguing bits of data or discover the sections of brick wall where I’ve been chipping away?

How do they build a mental map of the scope my current research?

I’m afraid anyone with any genealogical interest will simply decide it is too overwhelming to tackle and decide to start fresh.

I agree with the point of not depend to much on a internet connection to get people started…

The most irritating aspect with any “help” functions I know of ( I only have paid mobile network here where I live, and its expensive), is when ever you click a “help” function, the software need to go to the internet to get some, AND IT USE GOOGLE SEARCH as search engine inside the “help-document”!
and the only result you get are “This topic of the help is not written yet”.

Therefore, I nearly never use the help function in any software

Online help documentation for online software solutions, offline help documentation for offline software solutions, and then it can be an extended help or tutorial on the web in addition…

Regardiing your concern about other people be able to navigate your research, I have the same concern…

I can add thousands of documents, links and relations, but how will anyone but me and my brother, or people that is well into all of Gramps functionality actually navigate the data and find the notes and the brickwalls and the histories of the places or events that I collect…

Thats the reason I’m also looking at software like Heurist, Omeka, ResearchSpace and Arches, but those are all web based server solutions and need a place to live…

I think we need to be really smart about using Notes and internal and external links in Notes in addition to Tags (keywording our researchs)…

Its also why I look for multiple ways to export my whole database and would like to be able to export a lot more fields to csv.

One of the things about using a database software is so that other people don’t need to do the same research again, instead they can control whats already there and add more research…
Long digression

@DaveSch - I think your text are easy enough to understand, and IT IS important to keep it short…

1 Like

I will double check if more should be added especially adding the first person. There is always the tension of how much hand holding you do versus someone discovering things for themselves. And the more instruction by definition is not short and tight.

All the wording is a part of the code. And the welcomegramplet.py is part of the main code. Any changes can only happen with a new version release. And any changes need to be translated.

1 Like

It has been a while since I accessed the example. I seem to recall that I was cobbled together from many different trees so there are many unconnected pieces.

1 Like