Marrying Complete Individual Report and Detailed Descendant Report

I am very interested in printing out my full database and find extremely useful to filter a text-based report of Complete Individual Report to be “complete database” as that spits out all data that’s been compiled. Is there any way to have this report organize the entries per generation, similar to that of the Detailed Descendant Report (or get a plug-in does so)? What I want is to be able to print out all data and place it within a binder with tabs dividing each generation.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

(Gramps version and Operating System: 4.2.6-1 and Windows 10, respectively.)

Since Gramps is open source, if you have any programming skills you can adapt/modify one of the reports to your own preference.

Otherwise you have to get one of the enthusiasts here to take an interest and do the work for you. The current report doesn’t allow you to do what you ask.

If you are really interested in doing this yourself, let us know and we can provide some starting pointers.

Thank you for the prompt response. Unfortunately, I don’t have a lick of programming experience and will probably find it much quicker to run a Complete Individual Report and manually turn the 100’s of entries in to a Detailed Descendant (or Ancestral) Report.

I figured since the filter of “complete database” is an option within the Complete Individual Report that copying over that script and placing it in the Detailed Descendant or Ancestral Report would open up that option there. It sounds and probably is fairly straightforward but still way above my skill level.

(I actually thought I was overlooking an existing function since “entire database” filter option could be used in many different ways and could be useful to pretty much anyone that wants to look at multiple branches at one time.)

Another point, dividing an entire database by ‘generations’ isn’t as straightforward as you might be thinking. If your database has more than 5 generations, the divide will be very fuzzy.

It is not uncommon for pre-birth control generation to have women whose birthings span generations. So, that woman might have grandchildren younger than her youngest spawn.

Stretch that out over many generations & factor in endogamy and your trees can get REALLY messy. My aunt married a distant cousin who was generations closer to their mutual ancestor. (He was descended from a line of youngest children. She from eldest. His line had generations averaging 35 years, hers were less than 20 years.)

You might consider using the “Books” feature, by which you can combine a number of instances of reports (each having different parameters) into a single document. This would make it easier for you to regenerate the output in the future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.