Please test for license in all OSes in 5.2 Beta

Gramps → About menu
clicking the License button shows “License file is missing” in the text box

In Fedora, the license is missing for 5.2beta1

Related to old Resolved reports:

• 0007413: License file (COPYING) is missing into About dialog under Debian package "
  • 0010705: Mac OS X - Gramps → About → License “license file is missing”

If you are running Gramps from a development environment then the COPYING file will be missing.

In an installed version, check that the COPYING file has been installed in the /usr/share/doc/gramps directory.

Hmm. The only things in /usr/share/doc/gramps/ are:

• the example folder
  • AUTHORS
  • FAQ
  • NEWS
  • TODO

But I think those were from Fedora’s Gramps 5.1.6 install. (The License is missing from my 5.1.6 about box too. That’s why I checked now.)

The install script should copy the following files:

• AUTHORS
  • COPYING
  • FAQ
  • INSTALL
  • NEWS
  • README.md
  • TODO

Perhaps there is a problem with the Fedora rpm?

Possibly. So “COPYING” is the copy of the GNU GPL v2 file. It isn’t OUR license, just a license template.

I suppose it really doesn’t matter much since we are not compliant with the “Appendix: How to Apply These Terms to Your New Program” instructions appended in the GPLv2 license anyway. The source code header notices partially comply with those instructions but we don’t even come close on the User notification. (We fail in the Source comment headers to customize as required. We were supposed to include our contact method and chose an option for “either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version” section. )

The packagers should include the COPYING file.

1 Like

The GNU GPL license text now appears in the AIO 5.2beta from 13 Aug