New website for addons

I’ve created a website with lists addons for Gramps and Isotammi. You can filter the addons (addon category, language, version) and download them for manual installation if you wish to do so. This project was just some practise for me, but I think it can be useful for some users who are looking for an alternative way to download addons or want to use addons of both projects (Gramps and Isotammi) without having to switch between them.

9 Likes

That’s very nice!

Do you think you could scrape the .gpr.py file for the help_url and then create a hotlinked button to that relative or fully-qualified URL?

Most (but not all!) Gramplets have help_url entries in their registrations. Registration files for other add-on types actually crap out if this line is included.

1 Like

Yes, I can look into it. By the way only 24 out of 140 addons have a help_url.
The wiki links are also a mixture of
Addon:<addon_name> and
<addon_name>.

1 Like

Yeah. I don’t think that will be cleaned up until the Developers choose to make the help_url universal for all .gpr.py on all add-on type registration files.

Then the url will probably be added to the master text file used by the Plugin Manager. With access to that kind of visibility, the WikiContributors & add-on Developers can become more consistent in their naming conventions.

Add-ons are getting cluttered and will eventually reach a point where they need to be re-organized. We may even need an App Store at some point in the future!

1 Like

Look great :sunny:

Could your site be combined with this older effort that also attempted to show what the reports looked like?

GRAMPS reports examples: This page provides examples for most of the GRAMPS reports, for each GRAMPS version.: These reports are generated automatically.

1 Like

Very cool !

Something else I think could be useful: after selecting language (I.e french in my own case) it could be cool to have the original addon name, in English?, following its translated name. It could be useful to retrieve it or to speak about it using its original name. I use Gramps in French and it’s often difficult to know original functions (or addons) name in English

2 Likes

oh, yes, that is also my wish. My language is German.

3 Likes

Wiki Links

@emyoulation: I updated the site and added wiki links to the addons. :ballot_box_with_check:

@PLegoux and @HKD: The wiki links added lately are linking to the English addon sites (+ their names).

@daleathan Thank you, I’ll look into the code. Do you mean linking from this site to the report examples?

2 Likes

Thank you!

Do you think that there might be a way for developers (with add-ons in the prototype & beta cycle) might be able to register their work & become listed? (For instance, a place to submit the GirHub .gpr.py URL.)

It might be used help budding add-ons developers find alpha/beta testers & documentation writers.

And maybe this could create a process where willing mentors could locate people needing tutoring on how to migrate an add-on through the GitHub release process.

2 Likes

I think it’s easier to just ask here on Discourse for help with the current process and share addon prototypes. Right now I’m just fetching Gramps and Isotammi addon listings, so all new or updated addons there will also show up on the site immediately.

2 Likes

No I meant if possible :slight_smile: integrating that abandoned code so that examples of the reports could be shown also :slight_smile:

1 Like

@PLegoux @HKD Display original addon names :ballot_box_with_check:
I hope it’s useful. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes I’ve seen that. Thanks!
I’ve bookmarked the URL as one of the gramps reference websites.

1 Like

Suggestions:

I am revising the Plugin List Legend and hope to have Gramps Glossary entries for each Plugin type soon.
Could the Plugin type buttons be temporarily linked to https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin_list_legend until the Gramps Glossary entries are created?
(It might be easier for internationalization to leave it linked to the top-level Plugin list legend page. It is difficult to predict if MediaWiki will ever have translation-friendly subheading links.)

1 Like

@emyoulation I added info buttons next to the filter options. If you click them they provide info for each filter option and link to Gramps release history, Gramps download and plugin list legend. The addons are also sorted by addon names now.

1 Like

Looks pretty good. Noted a typo
The link “Realeases History” should be “Release History”.

The width of the language pop-up is behaving a bit oddly and wrapping the info button to the next line on Mobile theme (Chrome on Android X⁴ phone)

And, while the Releases History describes previous releases (gives access the versions documentation) and the Download button gives access to the correct Gramps code, the access to download the Gramps CODE version is fairly well hidden. Could you link the GitHub [oops! correction: SourceForge] code directory in the same info box too?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/

2 Likes

@emyoulation Thanks for your feedback! I fixed the typo and the wrapping issue and also added links to Gramps sourceforge downloads and one to Gramps GibHub repo. I hope everything is working now. :smiley:

1 Like

Posted a link to your site on the “Gramps for Genealogists” Facebook group.

This should create a “Trial by Fire” by more casual users.

It may create a need for a newbie oriented Wiki page about manual download & installation. For now, maybe the Manually installed Addons section of the 5.1 add-ons page will be informative enough.

1 Like

An idea: could you add a link (permanent?) to each box?

I would have liked to answer to this thread to try to use your tool but some of its answers don’t have a link to any wiki page and no link to it answer so it could be difficult to use in some cases. i.e.:

1 Like

I made the addons selectable and shareable:
If you click the header/name you can select an addon (highlighted with a red border). The url is updated (# + addon_id), so you can share the url with other people.
The site scrolls to the selected addon and the addon is also highlighted for them, so people following your link should easily find the shared addon. :smiley:

2 Likes