Move to a new computer

GRAMPS 5.1.5
Ubuntu 22.10
Fedora WS 37

I want to move my family tree with all plugins, settings to a new computer (Ubuntu → Fedora)
What is the best way to do that without missing anything?
I tried to copy the backup to the new computer and load it but plugins were missing and some of the settings.

Make a full backup of each of your family trees and then restore on the new computer.

Once you have done that reinstall the addons you use one at a time making sure you have installed the prerequisites needed for your new installation. You might find Prerequisites Checker Gramplet addon useful?

Backups are the recommended way to move trees. It revalidates the data and re-builds less fragmented database files. But it is labor intensive if you have a lot of Trees. And it requires a LOT of plugin re-installing and re-configuring.

Since your source & target are the same OS, we can make a few assumptions about compatbility.

Copy the entire .gramps folder contents from the old computer to a thumbdrive, download & install Gramps on the new computer, overwrite the .gramps on the new installation with the thumbdrive contents.

If you had not changed the Family Tree database path in Preferences, this should not only copy all your trees but also the plugins, .ini files, custom filters, etc.

Something you’re very likely going to need to copy separately are: the media objects. Hopefully, you’ve been using a relative path media folder for all your trees and can move that as a drag’n’drop through USB too. Of course, their new location will have to re-validated. But there are tools available for Gramps to do that.

You may ALSO need to re-install some prequisites manually for Fedora too. The Prerequisites Checker add-on can help identify those.

Thanks for your input … most valuable.
I tested with a small family tree.
When I install the plugins I came across (thanks to Prequisites Checker) was that some of software was not installed … graphviz, goocanvas … but I installed it manually.

What I found strange was following:
For a person/event the fields Type, Description, Date Age, Place … werte fixed in Fedora but in Ubuntu they were flexible so I cound make them larger so the contents were readable for long description … in Fedora all the text was no seen … very strange since both Fedora & Ubuntu have Gnome interface.
The red line can’t be moved in Fedora …

The grabbing “handle” for resizing has been noted to be VERY fussy in various OSes. Sometimes it feels like you are trying grab just a single pixel on the high resolution screen and the mouse just does not have enough fine control.

Try moving the mouse pointer delicately around near the top of the border between columns. See where the pointer graphics changes as it rolls over the hotspot.

Thanks … it works now

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.