More readable digital book

I would like to create a digital book or report that includes all images, an index of people with links to them and footnotes/endnotes for sources that are also links so you can look at the source and go back to where you left off. I don’t think anything else would be readable or practical. A hover feature like Wikipedia has, showing the source when you hover over the superscript number would be great too. Completely leaving out missing data would also be great, rather than having half the sentence then blank or ___. I could accomplish all this with an html web page but that isn’t what I want. I know nothing about python but could edit if I knew where and how. I was originally doing this with OpenOffice/OpenLibre (to be converted to pdf upon completion) but the computer I had at that time couldn’t handle a document that large so I started from scratch building a database with gramps a few years ago with the hopes I could accomplish the same thing. Are there others out there that would find this useful? I’m using Gramps 5.1.2-1, Windows 10.

1 Like

yes …
And meanwhile …

As a writing tool you could use som Markdown Notebook like Joplin or Trilium or Zettlr (that have integration with Zotero) … or some more advanced LateX, with LyX or some other GUI Editor, you will find some of them here: https://beebom.com/best-latex-editors/
Most of them use Pandoc, so you can export notebooks to multiple formats, including epud pdf and html …

Or you could use R-Studio and R …

If you rather want to work with a DTP program, Scribus are also free and open source …

YWriter 7 or Ostorybook are free Writers tools, and somehow similar to Scrivener (30USD), and all 3 of this use RTF as base format, all of them has outliners and you can add multiple pages, and import from different sources…
But as to day, all this tools need a lot of manual work and one of the problem with all of this is to get the data out from Gramps in a format that you like and can use …

It would have been great to have something like that in Gramps, that could be saved in some editable format in addition to pdf …
I don’t have many pictures of my ancestors, but I have a lot of documents that would be nice to have as miniatyr images with the text, with a indexed image description …, and to have all sources and citations as either footnotes or endnotes and a bibliography at the end …

I could accomplish what I want but it would require too much time formatting all the sources as links, etc. I don’t have a lot of photographs but do want to include images of the wills and some of the Quaker records or other ancient hand written documents. The original book I was working on looked very good and I hated to see all my time go to waste but Open Office kept crashing because it was too large for my system. I wouldn’t want to go back to that original document now with my newer computer because I’ve added too much to Gramps that wasn’t in that doc.

I use the Narrated Web. I do not post it to the internet but send it to cousins on a thumb drive. It is the most comprehensive display of all the information. Just because it is created as a web site, it does not mean that it has to be posted to the web.

It is totally clickable and in a format users are used to.

5 Likes

Thanks Dave. I’ll check that out. I haven’t looked at any of the web formats.

Has anyone experimented with EPUB? I have not; it is yet another thing about which I know very little. I was just wondering if it might be possible to create a simple(?) “package document” and a “navigation document” that leverage the files generated by the Narrated Web report, as a proof-of-concept for a new way of distributing such reports.