Good index or graph to show overview

I have a lot of people in my gramps database. For an upcoming family reunion I’d like to come up with a way for people to easily find someone in the tree and then be able to walk up and down the tree to find other relatives.

In the past I’ve created a printed book using the Detailed Descendant Report with all images. This creates a report that I’m fairly happy with, however it’s hard to find people in the book as there are hundreds of pages to flip through and not an index of the individuals.

I could use the narrated web output and a dedicated laptop. That works for some, but not everyone is comfortable with computers (especially the older generations).

I experimented with the various graphical trees and most are far too big to get any reasonable detail when printing. I’m thinking that having an index on the detailed descendant report with page numbers would likely be a good middle ground. However I haven’t found a way to do that.

What suggestions do others in the community have?

Create a Books report. (menu >> Reports >> Books)

You can combine various text reports, add a Table of Contents, and most importantly an Index of the whole book.

I would suggest printing it out to an OpenDocument text file. This will allow you to do some fine-tuning edits before a final print to paper.

I would not discard the NarrWeb report option. It can be loaded on more than one computer and you can get some twelve-year-olds to assist the older generation.

2 Likes

I have been using the Books option, however I somehow missed the Alphabetical Index option in there. That looks like it’ll provide something useful. Thank you very much.

I will keep the Narrative Web option in mind as well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.