Best Chart or Graph to use for specific printing needs?

It’s been awhile since I’ve sought the support of the always helpful Gramps community, but here I am again. I’m using Gramps 5.1.5 on Ubuntu 22.04.03.

I’ve been assigned to provide a descendancy chart or graph that’s going to be a part of a printed booklet for distribution within the family. I use Gramps often, but not so much charts and graphs. My big concern is making it fit. Ideally, it will be in the center of the booklet (the left and right page), and if it will fit better, I’m sure people can turn the booklet from horizontally to vertical if a chart were printed that way.

It’s the descendancy chart of an individual who was married four times. He had children by all four wives, but the most by far from the latter two. It’s a total of 130 people and will cover around 4 generations of descent. I’d like to include birth and death dates and places as well.

Any suggestions? I’ve played with the relationship graph, but squeezing everyone on to one page makes the text far too small to ready when printed. I’ve thought of making it take up more pages (not ideal) and doing a separate chart of descent for each of the four marriages, but even then the 3rd and 4th marriage might still be difficult.

I should add, most people reading this chart are not going to be experienced genealogists so one goal is to make the descent from this ancestor very clear. The Descendant text Report is crystal clear to me, but I’m not sure how easy it would be for someone inexperienced to figure out where and exactly how they fit in when reading it.

I suppose worse case I could make one by hand, but that would be painstaking…

I welcome any suggestions fellow users might have.

Thank you.

130 people is quite a lot to fit onto one page of a booklet.
When you produced the relationship graph, did you try it with Graphviz Layout set to horizontal direction, left to right? I find this allows more people to be shown on a chart at readable font size.

Thank you. Yes, I’m realizing the as much as I would love to limit it to the two center pages, it’s going to be bigger. I do think it will help a lot if I do a separate chart for each marriage.

And thank you – your suggestion of printing a Graphviz Layout horizontally, left to right is an excellent one.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.