Image size in narrated web site changed?

Using gramps5.1.5 on linux ( slackware )

I had been using 3.4.3 and upgraded to 5.1.5. All seemed OK, but the image sizes on the narrated web media page are different. All pictures are set to the width that is specified in the max size slider on the “Images Generation” dialog. The older version didn’t increase image size, which it now does.
All the docs I can find say it should be a max size. Smaller images should be unchanged. The apropos code in 5.1.5 is definitely different. Even setting max width and height to zero to get the default doesn’t work. It actually makes a 0X0 picture. Is this now the intended action? It’s kind of inconvenient.

Welcome

After some testing, I can confirm what you are experiencing. This from the wiki for the Narrative Web

• Max width of initial image: (800 default) This allows you to set the maximum width of the image (in pixels) shown on the media page. Set to 0 for no limit.
  • Max height of initial image: (600 default) This allows you to set the maximum height of the image (in pixels) shown on the media page. Set to 0 for no limit.

Setting either or both image sizes to zero (0) results in no image generation instead of the expected exact image size.

And instead of the Max size for the initial display, images that are smaller than the max setting are actually stretched to that size.

I never altered these setting from the default when creating a narrative web in any version of Gramps so cannot offer a comparison between versions. But clearly the expected results are not what is being generated. You may wish to file a Bug report.

Thanks for the reply. At least it’s not me. I will file a bug report.

Why do you want images don’t resize ? Do you have an example ?
New features in 5.2 will make this very difficult to do.

I do want to resize if the pictures are larger than the maximum, but not if they are smaller. Blowing up small pictures just makes them fuzzy.

Also, there’s the problem of landscape vs. portrait format. Suppose I set the max x size ( in the dialog ) to say 800 and y to 400. A 800 x 400 picture will be fine, but a 400 x 800 picture will be expanded to 800 x 1600, which is too big to view on most monitors. That;s the way it works now.
It didn’t used to.

The problem is that is makes every picture have the same width, as specified as x max in the dialog. That isn’t always the best.

Try it for yourself.

I think the problem is the picture size which is too small.
The best should be to get them with a larger size

I look at if it is possible to add an option in 5.2:
“Don’t resize pictures with size < nnn”
An empty field would means “resize all”

Personally, I don’t have that kind of problem even with photo signatures.
Maybe you need to use a higher resolution (dpi)

I remember why it’s like this now:

When you have an image containing several people, If you have regions relating to these people for this image, you can click on the regions corresponding to these people to go to their individual page.
For this to work, I need a constant width for these photos.

An example with the gramps database:
https://noiraud.webhop.me/Gramps52/fr/img/g/m/238CGQ939HG18SS5MG.html

If I don’t use the width, I get something like the following:

I have another problem when using the flexbox.
See: My Family Tree - Garner von Zieliński, Lewis Anderson Sr
In the Media section, click on one image then on “>” or “<”.

Thanks for the response. Picture one shows exactly my problem. [a 100x61 pixel image which becomes blurry when stretched to an 800 pixel width with auto-height] Also you don’t have any really tall portraits, as I do. The image is so big, you can’t see the whole thing at once.

I have to ask, if it could work in gramps-3.4.3, why not now.

The reality is that if it can’t be changed, I’ll have to go back to 3.4.3

It is a very old version of gramps and a lot of patchs have been added to the narrative web.

I don’t agree. I have very big images and they are resized to the max size you want (800 by default) the biggest I have is 21144x12080 and 115MB.

And I can see it entirely.
I’ll try to add it to the example in 5.2.

https://noiraud.webhop.me/Gramps52/fr/img/b/4/f509dc6b77f7ae2e44e1087134b.html
Can you attach an URL based on 5.1.5 and showing your problem ? You can attach it to the bug report

I don’t see any problem on picture one. It works as it does.

Some of his portraits (as opposed to landscape orientation) might have a very odd aspect ratio. So that the auto-height is giving more than screen height when the width is scaled to 800 pixels.

Is the CSS capable of being made smart enough to adapt to his image size edge cases? Where if the width is less than 800px (or maybe 400px, since a 200% isn’t blurry), they are not scaled. And if the aspect ratio is significantly taller then the screen aspect ratio, it scales on “fixed height” instead of a “fixed width”?

If I recall correctly, the regions are percentiles; not absolute pixels. (Which probably simplified using scaled cached thumbnails in the dynamically re-scaled Phototagging Gramplet.) This limitation occasionally make it difficult to finely control drawing the rectangular regions.

I haven’t tried using the Gramplet to draw rectangular tagging regions in a very narrow aspect ratio picture. It probably is very weird there too.

(Not suggesting a solution. Just acknowledging the problem is more thorny than the user may realize. The earlier version of the Narrated Web Site probably didn’t support tagged selection regions yet. So it could play “fast and loose” with image sizing.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.