How to refresh dashboard gramplets?

Is there a way to refresh the content in a dashboard gramplet (only on demand, not continuously!), other than by removing and re-adding the gramplet, or restarting Gramps?

It’s not necessary for most dashboard gramplets, but would be useful for some:

• This Day In Family History (Also, it would be nice if I could enter just any given month and day, without a year, in the sidebar filter of the Events category view.)

• Latest Changes (I realize I can also go into Edit - Undo History but that doesn’t contain links to the changed people.)

• Others that are less important to me (Statistics, Records, the various name Clouds)

@SNoiraud has created 2 variations of a Freeze for Gramplet refresh. They need use testing and feedback. These give manual refreshing options.

0010850: Freeze contextual updating to Gramplet content?

• I think we may have another solution available by gramplet.
    For each tab in the notebook, we already have an optional close button. We could add a new button called for example freeze/unfreeze to avoid the automatic refresh.

It sounds like those changes would affect gramplets that are already refreshing; but would they affect the dashboard gramplets that currently don’t refresh?

An excellent question.

You’ll have to try them and let us know.

You could disable the gramplet catching database update signals like here, add a refresh button and use the button click callback to update the gramplet.

Are you saying that the dashboard gramplets should already be refreshing automatically? My problem is the opposite; they are not refreshing, and I would like them to (preferably on demand, but automatically would be ok if it is not too inefficient).