How to change an event translation [Weblate]

In French, Cremation event type has been translated by Incinération. Incinération is for burning garbage! Like in English, Cremation is Crémation in French.

How to change it for next translations?

Register to work on Gramps Weblate translations click the Register button at
Get involved in Gramps! @ Hosted Weblate

Once registered go to the same page and click the View project languages bottom. Scroll down to french and click that.

(It is a 6,900 string database. Please be patient.)

I searched for “cremat” and found 2:

Cremated/Funeral urn (with abbrev. “Crem.” Set to “Incin.

Crémation:

1 Like

Oh is that new? I wondered how to make a suggestion to traslate a whole ago and only found a complicated way.

@Nick-Hall announced a trial of the Weblate tools to the Developer Maillist on 17 May 2021.

By the end of June, he had created the following page: Translating Gramps using Weblate

It is such a compressed cycle that not all the public facing bits are in place.

For instance, Nick has said that the “help_url” has been compatible with translation. Translators can redirect users of translated GUIs to the appropriate translated wiki page. But we haven’t experimented enough to tweak the developer docs on creating a .gpr.py with the steps. So few Help buttons are translatable.

Translation status
2 Likes

How does it work from that page in to Gramps itself, is it every Gramps release?

I fixed some of the Norwegian ones I knew about, some of them was already fixed there but not all.

Did you fix the “call number” in repositories?
Should be “Arkiv referansenummer” eller bare “Arkiv referanse”.

That’s how it worked before Gramps moved to Weblate. Translation deficiencies were handled as “bugs” rather than enhancements. So they were rolled into every minor maintenance release as well as feature releases.

Now that updating translation files is so much easier, we may have to explore documenting how to manually download & install more incremental revisions.

Right now on the site it says “Henvisningsnummer”, but I can change it if you think “Arkiv referansenummer” is more accurate? (or you can do it, up to you)

(I know in Gramps itself it was something different before)

There are many places in English software interfaces where explicit & exactly correct terminology in labels is sacrificed for brevity. So that labels for fields do not consume too much space, taking away width from data entry.

There’s no doubt they should be explicit in reports (unless there’s a abbreviation key/legend) since the readers may not have context to draw upon.

Can you do in Norwegian as is done in English? Where you can mark abbreviations … like “abbr.”

Translations made in Weblate are automatically pushed to the master branch in the Gramps repository. At the moment you can only translate for the upcoming v5.2 release.

In the future you will be able to use Weblate to translate maintenance releases and hopefully third-party addons.

Any registered user can contribute, so we may get some inaccurate translations. Trusted users can apply to be a reviewer with the ability to lock reviewed translations.

2 Likes

If anyone want to, I can be a reviewer for Norwegian Bokmål, but if I were, you shouldnt get your hopes up on how active I am as one :slight_smile: (But I wouldnt do many mistakes, I am afraid of doing mistakes).

I dont care that much tho, I dont expect Norwegian translation to be that active of a place.

So try to keep it same lenght as English or shorter for things in the GUI, ok.

I dont know how that wepage works with that, but as in Norwegian as a language, yes.

2 Likes

Yes for some words…

Regarding the “Call Number” in English… “Telefonnummer” in Norwegian is “Phone Number” in English, something totally different than “Call Number”…

2 Likes

“Henvisningsnummer” is better than “Telefonnummer”, anything is better than “telefonnummer” for that label. :rofl:

1 Like

Past days I just felt like going through some of them… Maybe my brain found it therapeutic or something, dont know.

bilde

To be fair, a lot of them is just looking at the warning the sites say, and fixing them, a lot of removing double space and full stop and stuff. Also a lot of just seeing if the Google/Microsoft translator is correct and clicking OK on that. Some others too tho.

1 Like

That seems like worthwhile time spent.

I wonder if there is a function for tagging near slight variants that should be consolidated? And finding the modules that use those variants?

6,900 strings sounds excessive. And for each variant that doesn’t have to be translated, up to 42 people will save work.

I have been thinking a little more about the “Call Number” thing…

And by looking at the English definition:

“a mark, especially a number, on the spine of a library book, or listed in the library’s catalog, indicating the book’s location in the library.”

And looked a little more around how we use “henvisningsnummer” vs. “arkivreferanse” in Norwegian, I think the later is the most correct to use, with or without the “nummer” at the end.

It looks like a “henvisningsnummer” is more used as a reference for a document number (letter ID, document ID etc.
Norwegian and Danish “henvisning” is translated to English as a reference. i.e. a reference to a case, a refence to a document, but not a citation…
Example (English/Norwegian):

“it is referred to the Case of…” – “Det er henvist til saken om…”
“It refer to page 34 in the report about…” – “Det henvises til side 34 i rapporten om…”
etc.
In Norwegian, a “henvisningsnummer” is more of a reference number as in a document ID number, than a reference to a shelf- or location-ID in a library or archive.

It might be other Norwegians here that have some thoughts about it, but I think “Arkivreferanse” as Digitalarkivet use, or “Objekt-ID” as Nasjonalbiblioteket (National Library of Norway) and Bibsys use, or “Katalognummer” / “Katalognr.” that Brothers Keeper translate it as, might be a better choice…
I think it is the CALN gedcom-tag…

Digitalarkivet:

Bibsys:

Some of the single word ones are like same word twice with and without capital letter, for example the first ones here:

There is possible to link them together, because I have seen it on some others when you go in to them, one is listed under the other, but for example those in that image are not linked together.
Here is one that is linked together, the variants show up in one of the tabs bellow:

I dont know if any user can link things together that way or only the admins or whatever can, havent found a way.

I went ahead of just adding a comment on it, mentioning it, on the site, so if anyone else come over the site at some point maybe they see it.

Another thing I have seen, that I have not gone and fixed is that most places, tags are translated to “merker”, while there are some where its translated to “etiketter”, I think it doesnt matter what one is used, but it should probably be the same one on all translations.

Yes, I agree, it should be the same translation everywhere, either word works…
Though I think “Etiketter” is what’s most used in Norwegian “Computer language” , if we even have something like that…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.