How should this citation be recorded in the citation/source/repository fields?

Good morning;
I have another question (of course I do)

This comes from the Digitalarkivet (Norwegian Archives) my question is how to break this into pieces so I can place the call number, and volume blanks so I can place items in the proper place.

Vinger prestekontor, SAH/PREST-024/H/Ha/Haa/L0014: Parish register (official) no. 14, 1881-1900, p. 37

Thank you JNELSON

One thing to remember, the only time Repository information is printed is in specific repository reports. They never are included in a Source/Citation created for reports.

With the caveat that I am not Norwegian and have not used these resources… this is how I would do it.

Repository: Vinger prestekontor
Source: Vinger Parish register (official) no. 14, 1881-1900
Citation’s Volume/Page: p. 37

When you attach the repository to the source include SAH/PREST-024/H/Ha/Haa/L0014 as the Call Number

Hopefully you can have a scanned image of page 37 for the citation’s Gallery tab or a transcription for its Note tab.

And remember, the Source contains 3 fields so the Source could be…

Title: Parish register (official) no. 14
Author: Vinger Parish
Publication: 1881-1900

Wonderful Dave thanks I had been using the Digitalarkivet as the Repository. However this makes perfect sense as the Vinger Parish as the Repository as most of the work I am doing there is from Vinger which is also the Municipality which is equal to the county in the US. Thank you. JNELSON

Yes, Digitalarkivet makes sense as the Repository. You go there much as you would go to Ancestry or FamilyuSearch and select its database.

I did not realize I could access the website from here in the U.S. Looking at it I would make Digitalarkivet the repository leaving all other fields as I already outlined. With one exception.

I would use https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb/contents/4983 as the Repository’s Call Number. This is the site that takes you to the indexed page for the entire Vingar parish book. Obviously, it is taking me to an English version of the site. Your URL would be for the native Norwegian URL.

Hello, I have an example of my way of using citations. I am Dutch, but this example is from a Swedish source.

Regards,
Michel Serné

1 Like

Thank you Michel this helps out a lot your format is grate I will use this as my guide. JNELSON

I’m Norwegian, I add both the Parish and Arkivverket/Digitalarkivet as repositories, adding them to the source as repositories, but in the citation (I use a full-length citation, not only page number, post number).
I also use Zotero as my database for all sources, so I get the citation as I like it, directly from Zotero.

I also copy the information from the media archive at Digitalarkivet to a Note for the source, cleaning out what I don’t need.

I also always use the permanent image link not the user link for page view as link to the media in my Citations, again, Zotero do all this for me.

Since you are Norwegian and use the Digitlarkivet do you use your own citation format? If so what format do you follow I would like to find some way to do this. FS and ancestry create the citation but I can not find anything close to that in Digital archive and I have not used the Historical center yet to find items because I don’t know how. Thank you JNELSON

I used Chicago, but switched to APA because that is what’s mostly used in Norway, but I add page, section/paragraph and/or post/line number when/if I need it, most of this can be done in Zotero, so I just paste the string from Zotero into Gramps Source and Citation and changes it in relation to whether it is a citation or a source I add.

This is how I registered it before, but I am doing a job changing everything in Zotero now, to use the image links instead of the “User Link”.

I actually do not use Gramps to register and store source and citation data/metadata anymore, all my sources are in Zotero because then I can use them in any other software I use in my research to, and have a uniform format without having to reenter every single part of it… I use Obsidian and Foam for VSC for all my research in addition to Aeon Timeline for timelines and Cytoscape, Tulip, Constellation and Gephi for network graphs and other types of network analyzes.

I like open data formats and interchangeable file formats… much because I do a lot more than “just” genealogy research, e.g., input once, use for multiple purposes.
That is problematic in Gramps since I’m not a Pyton developer.

@StoltHD , Did you get a chance to try out the Zotero option in Chris’ CardView addon?

No, I did not try out the Zotero option. I did not know that this option exists :slight_smile:

update: I have installed this addon, and it is great! Thanks
I now have to figure out how this all works (but that is also nice to do)

1 Like

There are a LOT of Easter Eggs. Be aware that CardView view modes take advantage of all 3 buttons for the mouse.

Might I ask? How you set-up Zotero, I just downloaded it and am interested in giving it a go. As you may have guessed I am new to all of this however I have created a skeleton of my ancestors and place a “face page for each using FS and placing sources and citations available from FS on each page. Many of them with the same source ie Norway Marriages, 1815-1930 etc. I would like to consolidate these so I have all organized. Thank you in advance JNELSON

I do not even know about it

Chris added a Zotero preferences option specifically because of your feedback. See the Readme.md. (The “Zotero support” section is near the bottom.) It uses the Better Bibtex extension in Zotero

Zotero can be used for keeping all kinds of sources and citations in one place. You can add an extension at your browser. When you have also installed Zotero and activated it, than you can add, with this extension, an online source to Zotero. Zotero can make all sorts of citations (like APA, Chicago, etc…) for your reports, documents, essays, books or what ever you will write and want to use citations. You also add manual sources (offline). I have not figured out yet how CardView uses Zotero.

1 Like

Oooops sorry JNELSON

Thank you I am trying to just start with one example and figure it all out one baby step at a time. It appears that FS gives citations which I have copied onto pages on my computer but about half of my research is coming from Europe (Norway) they seem to use APA format and I have no clue how to start that to match what appears to be like the FS citation. JNELSON

Zotero (and the experimental CardView addon) are going to take a LOT of exploring. The Preferences for CardView are… endless.

The community only has a few people who have gained experience with using them together. And and fewer who have jumped in to tutor via the forum.

The Citation “plug-in” system is one of the major enhancements of the impending 5.2 release.

The current system will be become the “Legacy” citation built-in plug-in and is somewhat limited.

Hopefully, some Zotero citation plug-ins will be created as add-ons and go through some feedback loops. There are a lot of possible approaches and the first attempt is unlikely to be perfect… or even the most popular.