Export by filtered place to csv

I’m running 5.1.5 on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
I want to export part of my database to csv filtered by one place name. I can do this to pdf using Reports >Text reports > Place, but how can I create a filtered subset to export to csv?

Thanks
Dianne Reuby

There are multiple options, each suited to a different subset.

If you want a CSV list of Places enclosed by a certain administrative area: use the filter gramplet in the Place view and export the view, choosing the CSV format. (I prefer the OpenDocument Spreadsheet format. It eliminates any worry about column shifts when there is data with spaces and commas.) View export ONLY saves the records of the view… with only the data in visible columns (as selected in the configure view.)

If you want a CSV list of Events within a place, create a Place custom filter which finds all places enclose by and including the Place. Then in the Event view, Create a custom filter looking for “Events of places matching the <place filter>” where the Place filter is the one created above. And again, export the view after applying the filter.

If you want a CSV list of People who had events within a place, then create a custom filter looking for “Persons with events matching the <event filter>” where the Event filter is the one created above. And again, export the view after applying the filter.

Thanks for that. Although I’ve been a user for many years, I haven’t really used custom filters. Step one - check that I haven’t got more than one spelling (eg PLACE, Place, place) which a problem I’m still working through on some inherited data.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.