Consolidating places

Gramps 5.1.5, Linux mint.

I’m picking up a family tree started by my Mother. There are multiple duplicates of places (slight changes of spellings, etc.) I would like to consolidate into fewer or one place. I don’t see a way to change all occurrences of one place to a second place. For example: Place Abc, code P001 in 5 events for 3 people, place ABC, code P002 in 3 events for 2 other people: change all references to code P002 to refer to code P001. Or at least a way to locate all occurrences of a given code.

I could go through each person. etc and change each event, but she has over 2000 people and there are dozens of duplicate places. One by one is just a monumental task!

You can select 2 (and only 2 at a time) duplicates the Place View and Merge them from the Toolbar or Edit menu. All the Events set to either Place will be set to the surviving Place.

If you have multiple duplicate entries, you can merge them simultaneously using the Multimerge Addon Gramplet from Isotammi. (If there are multiple Places with identical names, it has an automatic merge for the Place list. It is for consolidating GEDCOM imports that can create many identical duplicate Places.)

Welcome

Place records can be merged. As the records merge, the events using the merged place record will take on the remaining record. So, if you merge P0002 into P0001 those events that were linked to P0002 will now be linked with P0001

It would be best to start merging from largest to smallest.

Merge all the USA, U.S.A., United States, etc records together. Then merge the states together, then counties, then the local cities and towns, etc.

As you merge records together, the merged records will fill the Alternate Names tab. When you finally get to the one place record, you may need to clean/clear extraneous information from record’s tabs.

Thanks. Merge was exactly what I was looking for. I figured there had to be a way. If it’s in the user manual I either didn’t see it or didn’t recognize what it was. Course it also took me 3 hours to figure out how to get two people married!. Gives you an idea where I’m at! Thanks, you time is very much appreciated.

1 Like

Save yourself some agony, watch a couple of the tutorial videos. You’ll absorb the basics a lot faster. It misses a couple big timesaving techniques. (Like the clipboard.) But you can pick those up as you go.

Also take a look at:

In this unboxing I’d made with a new user, we talk about clipboard at timestamp 00:49. It’s in french but I just try it and YouTube can translate our talk into English subtitles:

Full Timing:

• 00:04:00: Settings
  • 00:23:00: First plugins added on the dashboard
  • 00:27:00: Content and setting of the Individuals view
  • 00:38:00: Creating a quote from sources in an archival repository before creating an individual
  • 00:49:00: Using the clipboard
  • 00:54:00: High and low parts windows in editors
  • 00:57:00: Creation of a place and its hierarchy
  • 01:03:00: Creation of the family at from the Relationships view
  • 01:11:00: Family visualization in the Graph view
  • 01:13:00: Visualization and modification of the family since the Family view
  • 01:18:00: Using filters from the Events view
  • 01:28:00: Using the Gramplet Cleaning up places to add information automatically (contact details…)
  • 01:40:00: Creation of a media and association with other objects
  • 01:47:00: Person selection on an image and association to a individual
  • 01:59:00: Use of premises from the Geography view
  • 02:10:00: Repatriation (export then import) from Geneanet gedcom in Gramps
  • 02:39:00: Installing the addon GedcomForGeneanet

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.