Bizarre Active Person/Home Person pointer animation

I was just just staring contemplatively (while thinking about writing a post of how to trick the tool to do a useful thing) at the experimental Consanguinity Gramplet’s simple block diagram when the mouse pointer moved by itself… twice. First to indicate the Active Person in the People View and then to the Home Person in that view. Immediately after each move, the pointer returned to the originally spot.

Could this be some developer toy left active in the GUI?

I’m getting a LOT of weird diagnostic log entries too:

C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.5>gramps

(gramps.exe:11008): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_scroll_to_point: assertion 'gtk_widget_get_realized (GTK_WIDGET (tree_view))' failed

(gramps.exe:11008): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_scroll_to_cell: assertion 'tree_view->priv->model != NULL' failed
(gramps.exe:11008): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_scroll_to_point: assertion 'gtk_widget_get_realized (GTK_WIDGET (tree_view))' failed

(gramps.exe:11008): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_scroll_to_cell: assertion 'tree_view->priv->model != NULL' failed

(gramps.exe:11008): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_frame_clock_get_frame_time: assertion 'GDK_IS_FRAME_CLOCK (frame_clock)' failed

(gramps.exe:11008): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_frame_clock_get_frame_time: assertion 'GDK_IS_FRAME_CLOCK (frame_clock)' failed

C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.5>

I don’t see this on Linux.

I’ve never seen anything like it before. Maybe the batteries are dying and flaking out the the wifi. That’s bizarre but not a horrible worry.

But the error log… that is disturbing.

What kind of hardware is that on? With touch pad, or mouse, wired or not?

I’m asking, because I remember some odd mouse runaways on earler setups.

Laptop with touchpad & Logitech wireless mouse & corded USB external keyboard. Lots of potential for runaways.

It is the coincidence of runaways & the “gtk_tree_view_scroll_to_cell” & “gtk_tree_view_scroll_to_point” gtk errors that draws my attention.

OK, I tried it on my laptop, and on a VM inside the Linux session that I’m in now, and I don’t see this on either. I see a lot of other errors in my console though, so I’m really curious which version of the Gramplet you use, and whether you have anything installed that can mess up GTK in some way.

For the Gramplet, I followed the link to Hans Boldt’s GitHub repository. Is that where you got that too? I saw no other way to get it.

Apart from the network, all devices are wired here.

Yes, that repository of @ukulelehans is the only access to the Consanguinuity add-on.

My expectation that some leftover error log messages to the console will go away with the 5.2 release. … It is one of the reasons that I was inquiring elsewhere about whether the 5.1.x installer could be used as a bridge to installing the 5.2 master beta. The beta test needs to start right away. And beta testing in concert with the 2 Gramplet freeze options @SNoiraud created should help isolate Gramplet add-on errors.

I just noticed that the errors that I see only show up when I run Gramps in Dutch. When I switch to US English, like you do, they disappear, but I still don’t get the GTK errors reported by you. And that is quite weird, because contrary to Linux, where GTK comes with the OS, every Windows install has GTK built in, so your GTK should be the same as mine.

Do you have anything installed that could mess with your GTK, like other GTK based applications, or non standard themes? I’m on my 3rd Windows config now, and I can’t repeat anything.

Or should I dig up a wireless mouse from my attic?

Let’s write it off.

Just discovered that I made a BIG error recently and have a even recovery task ahead.

(Evidently selected the wrong Tree while switching to test trees & back. Now I must determine when it happened then find the deltas & merge manually. Gonna be ugly.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.