Avast (anti-virus): falsely reporting infection with libgio-2.0.0.dll

I had a problem with Avast anti-virus this morning, as the below screenshot. I suspect a false positive (as I’ve had Avast being a bit ‘fierce’ with another application using an open source dll recently), and it’s easy enough to add an exception in Avast, but I’m posting this in case it’s helpful to anyone else. FWIW, Avast quarantined the DLL which caused gramps to terminate abnormally, and lock the database, which needed unlocking, which was a small PITA, but not insurmountable, but I wouldn’t want that to happen to often!

versions (Windows 10 Pro)
GRAMPS: AIO64-5.1.4-1
Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37) …
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8

There was a recent bug posting about Avast and the same file.

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=12847

According to a January 2020 thread in the Gramps Bugs maillist, this DLL has been getting false positives from Avast since the Gramps 5.1.1 AIO installer.

(That ‘Bugs’ maillist is not a very active one. Only 17 messages from 2020 to 2023. And 22 in the 2 years before that. Most of the bug reports go through the MantisBT database. The User maillist & forum are usually where help was needed in isolating the problem.)

…and Martin’s abortive Thread about Avast from today. (Included a screen capture that was purged because the Maillist cannot handle anything but text.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.