Using Flathub to upgrade to 5.2 is unclear

Now that 5.2.0-1 is listed on FlatHub, doing a noob test with the Flatpak before updating the Flatpak version template for the wiki.

Visit the Flathub page for Gramps at Flathub dot org.
https://flathub.org/apps/org.gramps_project.Gramps

Alternatively, you can use the following command in a terminal for a system-wide installation if you have sudo privileges: flatpak install flathub org.gramps_project.Gramps

Unfortunately: the "Install" button on the FlutHub downloads a `org.gramps_project.Gramps.flatpakref`. Chosing the "Open with software Install" (shortcut = "Enter/Return") just shows: ![image|642x491](upload://rfDPZseWpGVTE6koAr7i5tdf6V3.png)

Thank you for updating the wiki. I see the problem, the flathub repository has to be setup on some distros like Debian and LM. Other distros like Fedora, which I use now, has flathub setup by default, so clicking on the downloaded flatpakref opens Gnome Software without any other steps. There is a link for setup at the top of the flathub landing page, here is the direct link.

There is another problem with the wording at the gramps-project wiki, which is that somebody might use sudo flatpak install… instead of flatpak install and waiting for the prompt. I will see if I still have the rights to edit the page.

1 Like

Odd. I was resting with Fedora 39

I submitted changes, like fixing the setup link, the removal of BSDDB3, and removing the sudo reference. I don’t know what to do about the automatic version code at the beginning of the gramps-project wiki for Flathub. It still refers to 5.1.6 instead of 5.2.0.

Ok. I will test again and see if it will try to install the Flatpak on Fedora39.

Then update the Flatpak Version template.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Template:Version_Linux_Flatpak

Gnome Software has two places for flatpak repositories. If you click the three bars at the top right, then select “Software Repositories”, a new window will show. The first flatpak repository location is the “Apps (Flatpak)” at the top. The second flatpak repository location is in the “Fedora Third Party Repositories” section, where there is a listing for “Flathub”. Maybe flathub has to be manually selected to enable the flatpakref file to use Gnome Software to install Gramps from flathub? If so, the flathub setup page for Fedora is out of date.

–Edit, I checked the Flathub setup page for Fedora again. It does mention having to enable the “Flathub” setting, but also gives an optional script that will also add Flathub (without mentioning that it is an optional step since all you have to do is to enable Flathub near the bottom of the repository list in Gnome Software). Having the Fedora Flatpaks at the top and separate from the Flathub option can be a little confusing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.