Updated narrative web for the future 5.2 release

I would like to have any comments on the updated narrative web for the future 5.2 release

The web site is Gramps52
(it’s my laptop, so you may wait … :wink:
If you have any problems to connect to my site, it is possible. I avoid the connection from some addresses.

The browser will go to the good page depending of your browser language setting (normally!)
You can switch between 6 languages (Arabian, German, English, Spanish, French or Chinese)
You have the calendar incorporate with all languages.
Holidays are included for each language if they exists for the selected language.
So if you switch between languages, you’ll see different holidays.

For each object, you’ll see the colored tags like in gramps.

For the maps, the selected map is the stamen map with the watercolor option

4 Likes

Great work and great changes!

After a moment to habit myself to the new pages look (I don’t know if I like it or not), some questions and remarks wich came in my mind:

• No more search bar? Or filtering option into persons, families, … pages
  • How URL will vary in time? From one export to another? (is it possible to make them fixed for unchanged objects). i.e: /ppl/r/w/PTTKQCYN0JR3ZZJNWR seems to use directories (r and w) which could vary (I don’t know for last part PTTKQCYN0JR3ZZJNWR which looks like to Gramps internal anchor id)
  • I really like the calendar view, maps and trees on each person’s page, all details in general
  • I like screen space usage to display all information
  • I dislike searching for where to click on fields (may be a lack of color or sign to show clickable items)
  • Could you give me link to some object with colored tags, I don’t find them? Found
  • I don’t know if I will publish the tags which are more internal work’s tools to me
  • date formating (french format: dd month YYYY) don’t work with julian dates (( * avril 24, 1826/7 (Julien) + 3 février 1916 )) : day is after the month, it must be before
  • an idea: may be using toggles on pages to discharge them ?

Patrice

• No more search bar? Or filtering option into persons, families, … pages

The narrative web has never used search bar. Only DynamicWeb uses it.

• How URL will vary in time? From one export to another? (is it possible to make them fixed for unchanged objects). i.e: /ppl/r/w/PTTKQCYN0JR3ZZJNWR seems to use directories (r and w) which could vary (I don’t know for last part PTTKQCYN0JR3ZZJNWR which looks like to Gramps internal anchor id)

The URL is created from the handle. in your case “r” is the last character from the handle and “w” is the penultimate character. Normaly, handles remain the same after export if you use an xml gramps export.

• I really like the calendar view, maps and trees on each person’s page, all details in general
  • I like screen space usage to display all information
  • I dislike searching for where to click on fields (may be a lack of color or sign to show clickable items)

Perhaps it depend on the used theme.

• Could you give me link to some object with colored tags, I don’t find them? Found
  • I don’t know if I will publish the tags which are more internal work’s tools to me

It depends on what you do with tags. I use them to say “single”, “twins”, “dead for france”, “without child” …

• date formating (french format: dd month YYYY) don’t work with julian dates ( ( * avril 24, 1826/7 (Julien) + 3 février 1916 ) ) : day is after the month, it must be before

Can you explain that ? I use the standard date for the current language. Do you have an example in the gramps example database ?

• an idea: may be using toggles on pages to discharge them ?

I look at this, but it seems to be a big change.

You can change theme in firefox, chrome, …
For firefox : Display → Page Style → Choose the style you want to test

It’s working now for The web site: Gramps52
You can test it.

Do you think it could be added ?

A couple items of curiosity…

1. Noticed a typo in the language selection menu
    “Chinese traditional)” - with no opening parentheses ‘(’

2. Does the new report have an option to have the ‘Home’ & ‘Intro’ pages include a Report book rather than a Note? I recall that you have been able to select a Note for each.

It seems like one of the keys to a useful Genealogy site is getting the User oriented with a reference person or family. (As a frequent 1st-time visitor to some CMS driven genealogy sites, I’m always frustrated when it is impossible to discover the focus of the site nor the webmaster’s relationship to one of my relatives’ entry on their website.)

I suppose one could design an Intro & Home page and link that as a Note. But what’s the best way?

A pre-formatted HTML note? If it starts from a Report book that was output as a webpage (& will be wrapped with your menuing interface), would the HTML document headers need to be stripped?

Since it is not good to have a free-floating Note, should I link those Notes to the person? But that note shouldn’t be included in exports or recursively in printed reports, meaning it should probably be set it to ‘Private.’ Although ‘Private’ might keep it from being included in the Narrated Website?

Maybe I should create a ‘dummy’ Source for the Target Website? Link the Intro & Home Notes to that Source. Then write a Note with instruction on settings for re-generating the site? Perhaps copy the preferences chunk with the configuration so that it can be re-used?

Have you tried the Advanced Option “Include link to active person on every page”? It seems to do what you want, although the footnote that it creates could easily go unnoticed. Maybe it could be made more prominent somehow.

1 Like

Very nice. I’ve never used the web resources so can’t compare but it took me a bit to find where to change language. Google helped me by putting up a box asking to translate. After I chose English there I could see the language tab. I noticed going from the person page to the family map it is supposed to show the place name while hovering over the marker but doesn’t. It does do that in the map that shows when you click on one of the place names listed below and go to the place page. Thanks for your work :heart:

Can you tell us where this option can be selected?

It will be selectable in the Place Map options tab.

once you choose the Stamen Map, you can choose the Stamen option :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Darn! I was hoping to use it in the Geography view too! :pleading_face: ( :wink: )

In 5.2 you will be able to have that too.
See the following:

You select the “personal map”.
To select the personal map, you select the geography configuration and select or set the url you want like below:

4 Likes

Wow! That’s very exciting!

I’m looking forward to being dazed & confused by all the new options for awhile. I’m really enjoying your work in the Geography view. Thank you for all these goodies!

(Been using Paul’s tools for fixing Places the last couple weeks. There had been too many of my Places didn’t have coordinates & weren’t plotted in the View. Trying to improve the flow of those wiki docs now.)

Sorry for my question but can I use my personal map from PC not from webserver?
As example - I have map dated 1812 year. I can localize (link) this map to OpenStreetMap or GoogleMap.
Can I load this map and see all places?

This looks very nice, although I have yet to figure out if there are only new features added or if there have also been features removed from the previous ver 5.1.2.

I really, really like the new section where the latest updates are added - wonderful idea!

With this particular color/style-sheet, it was a bit hard to figure out how to switch from a person’s families to the “family view” (same color when so highlightning didn’t work).

I don’t know if this could be made more intuitive, or if it would look better with another style sheet.

There is one distinct thing that I am really missing by comparison with current version: An instant view of date of birth and death right at the very top. With a fairly large family tree, it is vital to see right from start WHEN a person lived. Was it in the 18th century? Or in the 19th?

In this new version you have to expand the events node in order to get any idea of when the person lived, and that could get more than a bit tedious. (especially in a country where the naming procedure is such so that you might have like 25 Elin Nilsdotter to choose between in your family tree…)

Of course, this is just my personal opinion, but to me It doesn’t matter at the first overview which gramps ID the person has, or which gender, or how old he/she was when dying. The really important information is date of birth and death.

This looks wonderful. It may be that the test database doesn’t have any ‘associations’ but does the association of an individual display as well?brian

How do you use it in your browser ?
Do you have your own url ?

Nothing removed

You can change the theme in firefox, chrome, …
For firefox : Display → Page Style → Choose the style you want to test

I don’t understand, nothing changed. Can you give an example ?

Do you speak about the close section button?
If yes, this is optional.

Thank you for the reply! Yes, I was solely talking about that you had to open the section with events in order to see when a person actually lived.
If this is optional, I’ll simply will not use the option to open and close sections, which means that from my personal point of view, the problem is solved.

Could it however be that it’s vital for a majority of ancestral researchers to see right from start when a person lived? If so, would there be a reason to consider if maybe the first information you get (without opening or closing buttons) should look like this instead?:

Page, Clara Belle [1]

Birth Name Page, Clara Belle
Gender female
Birth October 14, 1889
Death december 20, 1969

This is simply meant as food for thought, as you requested feedback on the upcoming version, maybe others wouldn’t agree with this at all :slight_smile:

And thank you for the opportunity to discuss and give feedback :slight_smile:

I don’t know why birth and death date are not shown. I suspect you found a bug.
I’ll look at this.