Show Tags in Narrated Web site

GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-5.1.3-2 Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37) … BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30) sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0) LANG: en_GB.UTF-8 OS: Windows 10

If I create a "Complete Individual Report’ the system lists the “Tags” for each person. Is there anyway to also show “Tags” when creating a “Narrated Web Site”. I have used tags such as “End of Research”, “Convict”, “Military Service”, etc and would like these to show on the web site.

Any suggestions?

It will be available in 5.2.
See: https://noiraud.allowed.org/Gramps52/en_GB/ppl/h/o/GNUJQCL9MD64AM56OH.html

1 Like

Any idea when 5.2 will be released?

It’s really nice that the tags can now be displayed. I hope and assume that this is optional, though?

I also wonder if it will somehow be possible to pick WHICH tags that will be displayed? Within Gramps, current version, there doesn’t seem to be any way that one can set if a tag should be “official” or “private”. And I am sure that most of us have tags that we would like to display as well as tags that we most certainly wouldn’t want to share officially.

There was another thing that hit me when I looked at the example page:

I noted that in the example with Garner von Zielinski, the place of his birth and death is not displayed. Is this because these places are unknown?
Can one optionally add the places where a person is born to this default view? (So that one doesn’t have to open up the drop-drown option for events so see it)

If not, would it still be possible to change it so that one can display the places of birth (and death) without opening up the event node??

If it isn’t possible to see the places of birth and death from start, is it maybe possible to create the web-pages without the drop-downs, so that all text is displayed from start?

These questions may seem irrelevant for those who have family trees with a broad variety of names, but we who live in Scandinavia have to work with the fact that people on the countryside had very similar names. As a result, I have for instance 115 Per Persson and 93 Elin Persdotter in my database, which is size medium-to-large. The results with large amounts of people with the same names should be similar for most scandinavians that are doing ancestral research in families living on the country-side, and therefore it would be of big help if one could spot where a person came from directly, without having to open up these nodes.

• Emma Marie
2 Likes

My working Tree has massive amounts of conjecture, conflicting leads, and private information. Only a fraction is marked as both ‘confirmed’ and ‘approved for dissemination’.

So I took a lesson from the Gramps wiki’s Rollover, What to do for a release, build an AIO pages … I have a ‘To Do’ note with a checklist for winnowing down a ‘release candidate’ Tree for publication.

The Note is attached to my Gramps dummy individual in my working Tree … this person has all my Notes on reconfiguring Gramps after a fresh re-install.

The Note has all the filters & edits that have to be done to fork a Tree, trim it down to a ‘release candidate’ & and create the master of a final distributable form.

The To Do Note starts with:

• “Print out the checklist”

and ends with

• “Transcribe addenda to this checklist into the To Do note in working Tree”
  • “Archive winnowed Tree”
  • “Delete winnowed Tree from workspace”

Bottom line: When generating something for publication, it is good policy to leave no potential for unintentional release of information.

1 Like

They have no coordinates, so we can’t display them.

If you speak about the drop downs, is it what I have called toggle ?
If yes, this is optional and is called “Toggle sections”.
You can see the same page without this option:
Example without “Toggle option” with the gramps database - Garner von Zieliński, Lewis Anderson Sr

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

They have no coordinates, so we can’t display them.

So if we had known the places of birth and detah, it would have looked like in my pic below then?

If you speak about the drop downs, is it what I have called toggle ?
If yes, this is optional and is called “Toggle sections”.

Yes, it is what you call toggle. I’m happy to hear that this option is available :slight_smile:

I now understand your question.
The title of this field is Birth date or Death date. The place is not specified in the title. It is like that since 2011. If you want to have the place name too, please make a feature request.
You have this info in the birth or death event. Is it really needed ?

I now understand your question.
The title of this field is Birth date or Death date. The place is not specified in the title. It is like that since 2011.

Well, it is not like that since 2011, because in the current version 5.1.3 you do not see WHEN a person lived in these introduction lines, only how old he/she was at death. It was I who suggested that the dates of birth and death should be added at the top, I did that some months ago and was very happy that you added this for the upcoming version, I’m very much looking forward to this improvement

If you want to have the place name too, please make a feature request.
You have this info in the birth or death event. Is it really needed ?

I the “toggle” option is available, so that I can see all information from start, I guess the place of birth and death is not really, really needed. I suppose it would mean a lot of additional scripting to add it?

I think the “problem” is actually something typical scandinavian, and affect primarely those of us who derive from farmers and commoners in the scandinavian countries. It is because of the “logic” in the naming system; the “surname” was always the firstname of the father with the addition of “son” or “daughter” depending on gender. Then, then first names was always inherited within the families, and there were surprisingly few first names they picked among. (Per Gummessons son would be called Gumme Persson, his son would be called Per Gummesson, his son would be called Gumme Persson and so on and on and on. In worst case, Gumme Persson could call his second son Gumme after himself, and then Gumme would be Gumme Gummesson who called his son Gumme Gummesson who called his son… yes, I think you get the picture)
As a result, you don’t have to have an extremely large family tree to end up with, like I have, 115 Per Persson and 93 Elin Persdotter in your database. It’s only the time and place of birth and death that helps to determine who is who.
But, as long as the “toggle” is optional, and I can get all information at the first browsing, then it should still work with only the dates at the top.

1 Like

I am still a bit curious about how the tags will be handled in the html version. I posted this comment previously:

It’s really nice that the tags can now be displayed. I hope and assume that this is optional, though?

I also wonder if it will somehow be possible to pick WHICH tags that will be displayed? Within Gramps, current version, there doesn’t seem to be any way that one can set if a tag should be “official” or “private”. And I am sure that most of us have tags that we would like to display as well as tags that we most certainly wouldn’t want to share officially.

I remember now. The problem is I don’t use the 5.1.3 narrative web anymore.
I use the new one for a complete testing.

In that particular case (toggle), would you like I add the place ?

This is optional.

I think this is too complex to do and tags have no private option. Personaly, I have no tags to hide.

You can see the differences now:

Example without “Toggle option” with the gramps database - Garner von Zieliński, Lewis Anderson Sr
Example with “Toggle option” with the gramps database - Garner von Zieliński, Lewis Anderson Sr

Yes, naturally I would like this very much.
But as one doesn’t have to use “toggle”, it works also without this.

Would it be a good idea if I wrote a feature request that you can look at at some point further one when it is convenient for you?