Understanding Data Loss when Exporting from Gramps to GEDCOM

Hello Gramps community,

I am considering exporting all my data from the Gramps application to a GEDCOM file. However, before proceeding, I would like to fully understand the potential risks and limitations associated with this process.

Specifically, could you help clarify what data elements might not be retained in the transition to GEDCOM? I am particularly interested in the preservation of data such as places, tags, notes, associations (like grandfather), coordinates, and the order of data.

Does exporting to GEDCOM faithfully reproduce these elements, or are there limitations that I should be aware of? Any insights or pointers to relevant documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look at the Gramps and GEDCOM page on our wiki.

I’m not sure if this is still up-to-date since the publication of Gedcom 7.0.

1 Like

I upload to WikTree. I tried using Attributes and found they did not show up on WT. I did not check at the time if they were in the ged file. I just stated using a different method. I didn’t see them listed in the doc Nick suggested. Just saying, sometimes it depends on the app importing the gedcom file.

Source, Media and Event attributes are listed as having no Gedcom equivalent.

Person and family attributes should import as Gedcom Facts.

Must have been a sleep when I looked at the doc. That explains why it didn’t work for me.
It has been a concern for me when I see people saying a piece of data should be stored in an attribute, because of it not working on the export.
So if you plan to export via gedcom, it is very important to take this into consideration.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.