GEDCOM import shortcomings - no documentation?

Is there any document describing the GEDCOM tags that are not imported into Gramps?

I found in the wiki a description of the elements that are not exported, but no information about the other direction.

My findings up to now:

• one side date ranges are not imported correctly (ie n DATE FROM 1 JAN 1900; or n DATE TO 1 JAN 1900)
  • media objects OBJE with more than one media files (what I’m using very often to store the front and back side of a postcard, to store several pages of a document, or an audio interview together with the transcribed text)

BTW the description of not exported elements shows a incomplete understanding of the GEDCOM standards. I’m a new and unexperienced user of Gramps so I’m not sure if I should modify the wiki. Maybe it is better to comment in Discourse?

I am not aware of any such document.

Please feel free to add this list to our wiki documentation.

The only reference I found: Gramps and GEDCOM - Gramps

In the “see also” section of that page, there is a very exacting assessment of Gramps’ quality and shortfalls with standard 5.5.1 GEDCOM imports:

There’s also a thread about other 3rd party reviews of the Gramps GEDCOM implementation:

Support open ended dates (such “from” and “to” dates) will be new for Gramps 5.2 version. But the 5.2 GEDCOM import has not been revised to support them yet. So those dates will be imported as a text string.

There are some other date format that import as Text. So there’s a supertool script (described in another thread) for pushing “invalid dates” back through the Gramps date validation function. Running that script once 5.2 is released should fix those.

1 Like

The report of John Cardinal was very helpful. Thank you for the link!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.