Solved - Bulk edit Relationship

V 5.1.5-1 Win10

In Families tab, I have a few hundred husband-wife pairs that have Relationshp = unknown.

Is there a way to bulk edit these? I’ve tried CSV export, but this data isn’t available in the file.

thanks

There is an Add-On which will bulk change Relationships. It is unclear what it is going to do. You select the desired Relationship (like Married) and it will change ALL to Married.

I would have preferred it only changed Unknown to Married, but it worked.

Proceed with CAUTION !!!

Most tools let you apply a custom filter and affect only matching records.

The General filters in the Families category has a “Families with the relationship type” rule where you can specify the “Unknown” type.

Remember to set the Default Family Relationship on the Preference’s Display tab.

The default is “Unknown”.

Changing the default to married or changing the unknown default to married does not seem logical to me.

At least such an action would not work for me, though others will work differently. For me unknown means not proved yet, if I know they were not or could not be married then they are marked as unmarried, if there is a citation of sources that proves a marriage then they are marked married. I have also created a Probably married label for couples who are inferred married by other evidence but have no definitive marriage record.

In most of my cases, people are married and I settled the marriage by default. So I set unknown in only a few cases. Depending on what you do, you can choose the default you want.

I’m not as rigorous on “married” needing a reference. For 99.99% of ancestors, there REALLY was a marriage as that was common tradition in society. Today, not so much.

If the ancestors read the book, they would be shocked and mortified to know they are listed as relationship Unknown. :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.