Search function

Does Gramps have a search function—i cannot find any. Should i need to find a name, either by surname or even only personal name, then it is impossible to do this.

I am using an older version of Reunion on an older version of MacOS, but want to change completely to Linux. Reunion has an excellent search function, and the only way for me so far is to use a MacOS virtual machine which is annoying.

Ta

Search capabilities are extensive:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Filters#Filter_vs._Search

Ta for this, i’ll try it and see how it works. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The search bar and the basic filter gramplets (slightly different in each category) are easy to learn. But the custom filters are like building queries in a database. You can apply them crudely with little skill. But building fast and efficient multi-pass custom filters takes practice.

Okay, i’m an eediot! I transfered all entries via a GEDCOM file generated by Reunion and loaded into Gramps 5.1.6,: and discovered under ’People’ a list of all surnames, of which can be opened to reveal all with that surname; then i clicked on my name and it took me to the entry! Duh indeed! Everything seems to be there, my using custom GEDCOM categories beginning with a _ , these displaying as such. The only thing that didn‘t transfer completely ending in a …, only the beginning, are the Notes: okay, clicked on the abbreviated notes and a new window opened up with the complete notes. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m given as ID I0001, so i assume that i’m the source Hominid.

We call it the Home Person. But you have to set a Home Person. And it can be changed easily.

While you’re becoming oriented, it may help to have browser bookmarks to the Visual Guide to the Gramps Interface and the Gramps Glossary. (The visual guide tells you our Terminology so you can look it up.)

But watching some of the tutorial videos is the quickest way to become productive. There are multiple ways of doing most things. So the tutorials may not show the method that is fastest, easiest, or best suited to your personal working style. It is just the method that video contributer likes.

Correct, i couldn‘t remember the normal term! It has given the same order as i have them in Reunion, so spiffing.

I’ll look up your references. Ta.

1 Like

Gramps defaults to a “Grouped People” view that is as described. When viewing the People tab, one can use the View menu to change to the “People” view. Then you get a simple alphabetical list of everyone in the database.

BTW, I much prefer the simple People view but it resets to Grouped People every time I start Gramps. Is there any way to make this setting persistent?

Craig

Set the Remember last view displayed on the General tab of Preferences.

Ta for that @trlvn—i like the grouped people view for searching for someone who has a particular surname, but i can see the usefulness of the simple people view so i’ll try it.

If you need to sort on Given name instead of surname, you can Set the Display setting for Names in the Gramps Preferences away from the Last name first format. Then use the simple ungrouped People view mode and sort on the Name column.