Running the Prerequisites Checker; installing prerequisites 🤷🏻‍♀️

Gramps v. 5.2.0
Mac OS Sonoma v. 14.3

Hi, I am new to Gramps. I have no knowledge of coding and only the vaguest idea of what Python is. I figured out how to install the Prerequisites Checker, but how do I actually run it?

I’m also at a loss for how to install the prerequisites needed to install addons like the Network Chart, which is not listed among the addons and plugins, nor under Reports > Webpages.

I have consulted the tutorials, but they tend to assume too much knowledge on the part of the user, which is why I am still lost.

Could someone please help? :pray:t2:

Cordially,

Confused.

Welcome.

Network Chart gramplet: This is an Expert-level gramplet. To find this in the Addon Manager, you need to change the ‘Everyone’ filter to either ‘Expert’ or ‘All Audiences’.

Prerequisite Checker : I use it by clicking on the Dashboard view on the upper left side (above People) and then right click in the view and select ‘add a gramplet’ there. You should find that the bundle provides most every requirement that you need except for a very few 3rd party addons.

For Mac installs, the distribution is a bundle with all of the files necessary for the standard install and for most of the Addons available. For those few addons that have additional requirements (like Network Chart), it is possible but an extremely manual effort to install these into the Mac bundle.

Since you mentioned that you are a not a developer, I think the effort would be quite difficult (on a Mac). The process is much easier for Win and Linux installs.

If you really want to pursue this, I suggest you send me a private message and I can try to help you.

Dear Gary,

Thanks so much for your kind offer. Since learning of the program two days ago, I have broken up and gotten back together with Gramps several times over. :rofl: Unfortunately, the skills needed to leverage its features are too outside of my wheelhouse. In theory I could learn, but with so much research and writing to do, I lack the time and bandwidth to do so. Maybe someday Gramps and I will rekindle our relationship, but for now, we must part ways. :broken_heart:

Thanks again.

Cordially,

–Confused.

1 Like

Mary,

Are you aware that Gramps (without any addons at all) is sufficient for most users?

And when you’re ready for the added functionality (or alternative interface) of an addon, it is better to start with those that have no need to install extra (prerequisite) library modules. They are simple to install.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.