Report for TODO notes

I’ve been using the TODO note type to track things that need to be looked into more. I’d like to print out all of these notes for an upcoming reunion as a way to get help from others to answer the questions. I tried the TODO Report and found that it’s not really for TODO notes, but rather for particular tags. I do like how it can group objects though. Anyone know of a report that will print based on the note type?

I created a tag called “PRINT”. I then tagged my ToDo notes with the Tag. This allows the notes to print.

Using a tag allows you to select the appropriate notes. There are some notes that I have as ToDo but these are for me dealing with the database. They are not ToDo notes that are appropriate for others.

You can do a sidebar filter in notes based upon the Type.

Thanks. That is what I did to get the report. Looking at it more I may build a custom report as there are more details I want to add to it for this particular purpose. Things like all dates for an individual and all names so that people looking at the list can easily help resolve the questions.

I always use the Complete Individual Report when I take my research to the library. If they have a ToDo note, it will get printed.

I agree that’s good for a single person that I want to research. I’ll need to spend more time with that one. However for a list of things that I’d like help from others, I’ve got about 50 TODO notes attached to various people, events, places and media that I’d like to get help from those at my next reunion. My thought is that if I provide a list with enough associated information that some of those items can be resolved by people there.

I abandoned this idea but at one point I attached the Todo note to the object that this note concerned as well as to the repository in which to search. I don’t know anymore (I’m not in front of Gramps right now) if there is a repository report but if so, it could thus print the Todo notes which concern it

Wonder if it is a big task to implement a Notes category Custom Filter selector as a Reports Option choice?

You can already simulate the same functionality by creating a new Tag and using the Add/Remove Tags add-on tool to apply the new tag to a filtered set of Notes. The selector would just cut out the extra steps.

I dug into the Complete Individual Report more tonight. I see that it can work off of a filter, not just an individual. I used SuperTool to create a filter that finds all people with TODO notes and then used that filter. That works pretty well for Person todo notes.

I’m still considering writing a subclass of the Todo report that provides the additional information and supports more types. Unless people think I should put in a PR to modify the todo report?

For those that are interested, I decided to modify the existing TODO report to add the additional context that I am looking for. I also added support for more object types.
My repository is at GitHub - jpschewe/addons-source at todo-report-context

I did change the report to work based on note type, I kept the filter by tag.

I’m going to use it for some time and see about putting in a pull request for the changes.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.