Hello all, I installed grampsweb as a docker container back in 2024, went to update and the database upgrade/update failed. Rolling back also didn’t help- just get a blank screen.
I have a backup sql lite file of the database that the local Gramps desktop software doesn’t natively read. I can however use some freeware to access the database file.
Is there a way to rebuild the database from the sql lite file? Or from CSVs I extract from it?
Currently I’m thinking, somehow rebuild the database via CSV imports of all the tables within the software. Export the database from there and import into a clean grampsweb container.
Thoughts?
If you still have the SQLite file, nothing is lost. I assume your database is in Gramps 5.2 format.
What I would try first is trying to open the databsae with Gramps 5.2.4 on your desktop. If that works, the problem is solved: just export it as Gramps XML file and import it into Gramps Web.
If that doesn’t work, please share the error here and we’ll see what we can do.
Where/what is the folder containing the SQLite file?
For the Gramps database folder below, the Gramps for Desktops preferences Family Tree tab for the Database path should not point to the 6a74deb3 folder that contains the actual .db file. It should point to its parent folder: grampsdb
Gramps uses the hexadecimal folder and the set of (5?) files that it contains as composite parts of its metadata ecology for Family Trees
In the case below, my Database path is set to:
/home/districtsupport/snap/gramps/13/.local/share/gramps/grampsdb
It’s the file in the grampsdb folder of grampsweb.
I’ll check the path based on your advice.
I’ll try the above advice from David and report back. Thank you!!
I managed to open the database file in the latest desktop client. I copied the five files into an existing folder, and it seems to have loaded all 500+ people in the tree, so happy with that.
Exported to XML, and tried to import into grampsweb in a new conainter but getting 500 errors, so will have to try and figure that out now.