Cannot open my "testfile.gramps" file with SQLiteStudio

GrampsAIO64-5.1.3-2 on Windows 10
For the sake of curiosity, I am trying to open a gramps file using SQLiteStudio .3.4.3
I get error ‘[19:54:00] Could not add database E:/Genealogy/TEST-SQLITE/testfile.gramps: file is not a database’
In Gramps Dashboard / Manage Family Trees, the gramps file is listed as Database Type SQLite.
I can open other *.sqlite databases using SQLiteStudio.
Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks

The files with .gramps file extensions are generated by exporting or triggering the backup feature. This is a stable data exchange format in gzip compressed XML — not the database file. Database files are necessarily fragile things since they are in continuous change as they track each touch of the data… but they are fast. So Gramps uses database files as working files.

The working database files (typically in SQLite format beginning with Gramps 5.1 and BSDDB before that) have a path set in the Family Tree tab of Preferences. Each database (Tree) has its own folder with a generated unique name. Within the folder are the database files plus a couple text files: name.txt (with the human-friendly & readable Tree name) and database.txt (which identifies the database engine).

Note that database files in Gramps 5.1 still use pickled Blobs. Pickled Blobs are a relic of the BSDDB implementation and targeted to be phased out … they complicate use of external database tools. Direct editing of the database file with an external tool is NOT recommended.

The Data Model diagram is on the wiki.

1 Like

While accessing the main SQLite database has issues you could try installing the Addon:SQLite Export Import (note that: This pair of addons are used together and do not provide generic SQL support for import from an unknown format. )

If you are comfortable doing direct database interactions, you probably want to try the Isotammi add-on: SuperTool.

An introductory task using SuperTool can be found in the “Tree vivisection experiments with the Isotammi SuperTool” thread.

(The most straighforward Installation requires briefly redirecting the Addon Manager to look at the Isotammi Project’s addon server.)