Re-installation of GrampsWeb

Short of doing a complete reinstall, including wiping the OS, how might one re-install grampsweb completely? That is, not a trace remaining of the database, variables, etc.

This is a docker-compose installation if that is relevant. I have attempted some of the docker functions to wipe out containers, but that is apparently insufficient to encompass “everything gramps”.

Gramps 5.1.6
Gramps Web API 1.5.1
Gramps Web Frontend 24.1.2
locale: en
multi-tree: false
task queue: true

docker system prune -a would seem to be the answer, yet is not.

Despite docker-compose up -d appearing to do a complete “pull”, first login to grampsweb presents a normal login screen, not initial setup. This suggests the grampsweb db still exists. Logging in confirms it is intact.

I am clearly not aware of how to delete or reinitialize the db.

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to explain why the database persists despite my efforts shown above. From what I observed, outlined below, it seems impossible, so I have to consider that I am woefully off base, or, there is a copy of the database elsewhere from where it can be referenced/restored. Please guide me to where I am wrong.

In the docker container “joea-grampsweb-1” exists a file “/app/users/users.sqlite”
In the docker container " grampsweb_celery" exist a file “/app/users/users.sqlite”

They are the same size and date/time. Is it the same file? Shared? That’s for later.

Right now I would like to understand why the database file seems to persist despite performing, what I expect anyway, to be a complete wipe of those containers and contents, including the DB file.

And, of course, how to remedy that. There appear to be advisories here not to mess with the db unless “expert”. Aside from being the polar opposite of expert, in sqlite and gramps_stuff, sqlite3 was not provided. Probably good in my case.

Yes, I can do a complete OS wipe and reinstall, but, I will have learned virtually nothing new that way.

Thanks for any assistance.

In another thread, David suggested that he has been reluctant to make it easy to wipe the tree and user list.

He suggested one way to reset the Tree could be to use the Sync add-on. So, make a local backup, blank the local tree and sync to the blanked tree.

He was hoping someone would try that. And when the demo site starts allowing changes, I was wanting to try it.

But that doesn’t address clearing the user list (where it look like delete for a user might not be implemented yet) or other hidden settings.

I did see that suggestion. Would the “users” remaining be sufficient to prevent the “setup dialog screen” from presenting? Kind of that I am after as I have a suspicion, only, that I may have damaged something attempting to add user details manually at one point. In another thread I posed there is suggestion that some data is corrupt, logged when I attempt to test email via lost password function.

I’ll give it a try and report what happens. May not be tonight though.

1 Like

I’m not going to be any help there. I can find everything Gramps uses in the Windows file system. Still blundering through the Fedora Linux like a blindfolded man. (Can’t find anything but unwilling to ask directions.)

If you used docker volumes (as in the documented example setups), docker system prune --volumes will delete everything. Careful: This will of course also delete all other docker volumes you might have that are not related to Gramps Web.

‘docker system prune --volumes’ did remove “a lot”, but, upon accessing grampsweb via browser, still got the login screen.

Then uttering ‘docker volume ls’ found 9 “local” volumes remained, all seeming associated with the “pruned” system.

uttering ‘docker volume rm [volume names]’ did in fact remove them. Had no desire to be selective at that point.

Subsequent login to gramps web presented the “setup” screen.

I’ll see how it goes from there. Thanks for the assistance.

Perhaps you pruned while the containers were still running.

Let me look into that in a bit. Right now I would like to look into another matter, what I noted in logs. Another post seems appropriate.

Nope. I could post all the console (bash) history to confirm that but it seems needless, since
when I duplicated steps on the system I built the other day, on a Raspbian/Pi4b, the command ‘docker system prune --volumes’ did, in fact, remove all the volumes, did not have to take any further action.

So, given that and some other discrepancies in docker related behavior between the systems, I suspect the openSuse docker package has some curiosities within. (OT) First started with Suse when Novell took them on a decade or so ago, when Netware was still a thing.

I may try docker/grampsweb on another VM with a different flavor of Linux and see how it compares.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.