Problem with export of familes

Hello,

I came across a curious problem today. When I try to export a part of a tree (descendants of …) to csv, families are created twice, once for the husband and once for the wife. Thus, there is no connection between the two.

For example, here are six such families, the first three only have a husband, the latter ones only a wife:

Marriage Husband Wife
[F0074] [I0183]
[F0075] [I0183]
[F0099] [I0424]
[F0100] [I0264]
[F0102] [I0396]
[F0172] [I0249]

On import, each child has two parent families, one for the father and a different one for the mother.

Even though, I really wanted a .csv file, this did not let me rest. It turns out the same problem happens when exporting to .ged or .gramps: Separate families for husbands and wives again. So something is off with the export function.

Next I deleted my ~/.gramps folder to start fresh. The same thing happened again.

Could this actually be a bug? If so, a lot of people should be/have been affected. That is surprising since this version of Gramps has been around for quite a while. I gather I must be doing something wrong.

My stats:

GRAMPS: 5.1.5
Python: 3.10.9 (main, Dec 19 2022, 17:35:49) [GC…
BSDDB: 6.2.9 (6, 2, 32)
sqlite: 3.40.1 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
Distribution: 6.1.19-1-MANJARO

No. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature. When you choose to export descendants, you only get descendants, and in most cases, incest aside, most spouses are not descendants. What I mean is, that when I export descendants of my father, the export will include me and my sister, because we are his descendants, but my mother is not, so she will not be included.

This may sound quite autistic, and I am an autist, so I can say that, but what you need is the export that says ‘family descendants’. That one exports spouses too, and I bet that it is what most users expect. Me too!

1 Like

Thanks a million, ennoborg! I had completely missed that option.

And do not forget the main couple.

Descendents of… father and Descendents of… mother

The father and the mother are not descendants of themselves.

And that’s where the fun starts, because in an export, they are included. I just tried that, so it’s quite inconsistent.

In a filter however, the start person is only included when I tick the right box.

And in my Dutch Gramps, the ‘normal’ and family descendants filters have the same name!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.