Separate Gedcom exports

Hello everyone!

I’m planning to export my Gramps family tree to myheritage via Gedcom. However, I want to divide my tree into several branches. Is it possible to make separate exports from Gramps for different branches?

I’ve drawn a simplified diagram of what I need.

I choose a specific person as the Home person or simply have their ID. All of their ancestors should be exported relative to this person. However, each ancestor has other relatives (spouses, children, parents). Spouses also have relatives, and those relatives have their own relatives. This goes on indefinitely in both upward and downward hierarchies. However, when it comes to the downward hierarchy, persons on the other side of the Home person (marked in red) should not be included in the export. So, I need to export only persons marked in white. Another issue is that not all people have connections to the Home Person. Therefore, it might be better to link not to the Home person but to several different person IDs. For example, I specify 10 person IDs at once and get all their relatives. And I need all of this in one Gedcom file. Is it possible to do this? Thank you.

Additionally, having a feature like “Filter relatives tree by person IDs list” would be very helpful for such tasks. By this, I mean having a ready-to-use filter without manually building a complex filter with many nested conditions.

You need a first filter excluding these 3 persons. The simplest, since there are not many of them, is to select all 3 using their ID. Check the filter to find all persons except these 3.

Do your second filter to find all the ones you want to export, regardless if it brings back the 3 you don’t want.

Finally make a 3rd filter calling the other two to obtain the persons from the 2nd but not from the 1st. Use it to make your export.

1 Like

it can be many of them, so I can not simply list their ids

@PLegoux I got it, at least the main idea. But how implement the second filter? I dont have a fixed deep (I dont know how many nested relations)

This is something too difficult to build such filters structure to reach the expected result.

Alternatively, tag all the people that you want to export and then filter on the tag.

1 Like

As for me this is looks like easier make xml export, parse it with php script and implement filters logic there. I can not do this using Gramps filters. One more way, maybe Supertool using could solve this problem?.. What I need - get very-long IDs string, and then I could create simple filter by these IDs.

There is the Not Related tool that identifies all those people that do NOT have a click path back to the Active person. It allows you to Tag these people.

As you WANT the reverse of this, you can Tag the people that did not get the Not Related tag.

You can then remove the Spouse and descendants of the Active person from the tagged list.

The Add/Remove Tag tool would be helpful in this endeavor.

2 Likes

You can bookmark the several people and then use the filter rule “Bookmarked people” as part of a custom filter.

1 Like

The adding tag tool is freezing each time when I trying use “Final Tree branch” filter. But this filter is definitelly working when I use it on the Filter right sidebar. My Filter is deep-nested. I think this is the reason. Anyway is it possible to run tags adding for it?
Pls, dont ask separate the filter to several parts and tagging it separatelly. I spent several hours to build it.

Missing activity, no progress, no new logs. It just freezing.

If this filter is the cumulative result of the other filters, then there is no need to use tags – just use this filter for the export. (But if that is not the case, then I’m sorry I misunderstood.)

1 Like

Exactly. I just wanted scroll the results and maybe fix something. Because Gramps hungs when I update any person received via filters. But okay will use export directly. Thanks.

Export by my filters is also too slow… Anobody knows why it happens on exports, but it works fast on People page when I use Filter sidebar? Maybe export by filters could be optimized in the future? I think if Filter sidebar can do it fast, then export also could work better

I have an idea but I need some developers help.
How can I log people ids (in terminal) which are rendering on the People page? It would be great receive one log row only with text like this:

I0243 | I0145 | I0201 | I0333 | ......

And then I will use this string as regular expression in a simple filter.

Well, you could copy them to the clipboard. The cipboard allows you to do an extended selection and then the Context Menu has an option to create a custom filter for those IDs.

Or, you could do a “select all” in the People view and Edit → Tag → New Tag… to tag those selected People.

Note, if you use the Filter+ Isotammi addon instead of the built-in Filter gramplet, then its complex selections used to filter the People view can be scraped into a Custom Filter. That allows the Filter’s setting to be used in Reports and exports.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.